Help! My 8 1/2 year old daughter has a very hard time going to sleep. I put her in bed around 10:00pm and sometimes she's still awake at 11:30! She doesn't drink any kind of caffeine, usually, so....any ideas?

My daughter has a hard time going to sleep. I try to get her to bed at a decent hour because she really is a late night owl. In order to get up around 7:15 am, she needs to get in bed by about 10:00. But she often can't fall asleep for an hour or more! Help!

Evanmak0094

Asked by Evanmak0094 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Caffiene, sugar, carbs? Is she active throughout the day so that she's worn out by night?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am the same way.. always have been. Can you check with the Dr. about using Melatonin. It is natural, but I'm not sure about her age. I would ask the Dr. Otherwise, make sure it's a relaxing time. Bath, and maybe read a book before bed. That used to work well when I was young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• you might want to try and putting her to bed earlier and dont let her get up make her stay in bed. Be consistant do the same thing every night. My 8 year old daughter has a very hard time winding down. She goes to bed at 9 and she will usualy be asleep by 10.
    mooks

Answer by mooks at 12:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have a daughter that had anxeity at night so I got her cd's with nature sounds and turns out the sound of light thunderstorms does the trick!! she falls asleep in no time!
    Also at walmart I found an alarm clock with built in nature sounds, there's 5 to choose from.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I just went through that with my daughter. Please go in there and just chat. Maybe take some knitting so it looks like you are just chatting. I found out my daughter was afraid. She was afraid of death, growing up, who was she going to be when she grew up, what if Mom died?. All of these questions would go through her head. She was phobic, and realized that her fears were not making a whole lot of sense, but she couldn't get them out of her head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Does she like to read? I started reading in bed at that age. I still do it. It helps me go to sleep. I use a booklight so I don't disturb anyone else!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• maybe start putting her to be about 9 because maybe shes over tired by 10 and cant get to sleep. My son has been having problems sleeping for he last few months and his dr recommended a glass of warm milk about 30 minutes before bedtime. I was skeptical but it works. He gets it about 830 or 845 and he goes to bed and falls asleep. Some of the other moms who already responded have some good ideas also.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 6:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Every person has a certain time that if they can make til that time, then they are up. If I can make it til 10pm, I can stay up all night. it's my second wind. If I put my 8&9 yr olds to bed at 7:30pm, they go right to sleep. Let them stay up til 8 - 8:30pm & they won't stay in bed.

10pm is late for a school night. Children should get between 8 & 10 hrs of sleep per night. Try an earlier bedtime.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son is 14 and he goes to bed at 9 pm. She's 8 1/2 thats way too late. They need 10 hours of sleep at that age.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It sounds weird, but not getting enough sleep can cause a person to have a hard time sleeping. It's like when a baby is overly tired and you can't get them to go to sleep. My daughter is 10 and she is in bed by 8 and she can then read until 8:30 before lights out. She gets up at 7am. She doesn't have sports everyday, but on the days she does, sometimes she is in bed by 7:30.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2009