Do you suffer from anxiety?

When I'm facing a challenging situation, I always start to panic and start to worry.I'm wondering if this is a anxiety disorder or something else..

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 1:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Health

• It could be an anxiety disorder. I suffer from what doctor's call a "general anxiety disorder" because I often experience panic attacks or other anxiety symptoms when faced with stressful situations. Meds helped, but I weaned myself from them after I learned how to control my anxiety. I won't lie, it's tough! But it all rests in your mind - you basically have to relearn how to cope by changing your thought patterns.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have really bad anxiety. I'm on meds for it and I'm much better and I very rarely have panic attacks. It sounds like you might have anxiety. You might want to talk to your doctor. I'm not saying everyone who suffers from anxiety needs to be on meds ,but sometimes it just helps to talk to someone. Good Luck!
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am another anxiety sufferer. I couldn't handle anything. But Effexor worked wonders for me. I have more energy and I don't freak out and take it out on the kids. You should talk to a doctor because there are also techniques you can use instead of meds to control the attacks.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Panicking and worrying when faced with a stressful situation is the body's NORMAL response to a threat (stress). What you DO with that panic and worry is another thing. You can take a deep breath, set down a plan of action and deal with it. OR you can let the panic and worry take over your mind and body by doing nothing. I have anxiety disorder. My body overreacts to any slight stressor by going into full panic mode. My problem is rooted in a closed head injury I had at the age of 12. I've had psychotherapy to learn various techniques to handle anxiety and I'm on meds to prevent full blown panic attacks. I can go for years without any problems or I can have months where I don't have a day without anxiety. I'd strongly recommend learning relaxation techniques (total opposite of body's response to stress) and maybe talking to your doctor about some short term medication so your body can "relearn" how to react to stress.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have anxiety and take medication for it, but it doesn't always help.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009