what worked best for teething?

My daughter is refusing bottle, and sippy. If she gets hungry enough she will drink sippy, but not much from it. So i'm going to start making her watered down cereal with formula for her to keep her hydrated. What are some ways that helped you through teething? I'm doing it alone with my husband deployed, so i've become very stressed out.. I could use all the helpful tips i could get. Thank you all so much =D

Stefani22

Asked by Stefani22 at 2:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my son frozen fruit in a mesh feeder, frozen teething rings, a cold wash cloth to chew on. I've only used baby orajel twice. I have given tylenol before as well.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I was starting the teething process while my husband was deployed so I understand. To keep her hydrated try pedialyte. I did the cereal in a bottle thing, but my son was nursing so I was too worried about his food intake. I would have to say though that orajel and tylenol saved my sanity. If you go to the on base doc, they can prescribe you the tylenol or motrin to help save money.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 2:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Baby oral gel, Tylenol, cold washcloths for gums and a babysitter for a needed break. ; )
    Tams_jade

Answer by Tams_jade at 2:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• A little luck and a whole lot of patience I am in the same boat... Except my husband is not deployed - Please tell him thank you for me and Thank you! Military wives are the back bone of the military ;) (sorry a little off topic)
    We will look back and laugh at this stage in our little ones life (RIGHT?)
    GOOD LUCK!
    JNS25

Answer by JNS25 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• She usually puts everything in her mouth, but she knows it hurts, so she wont take washcloth, i try to put in her mouth for her, but she doesn't like that to well. I have the mesh feeder i bought it today and gave her popcicle, ate it the first time refused it the 2nd. I went to Er today since dr office wasn't opened, and i was scared she wasn't eating, and she was digging in her ears. Alll dr said was she was teething. well duh i already knew that. So they were no help at all. I guess i just hope it goes by fast!! THank you all!
    Stefani22

Answer by Stefani22 at 3:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• watered down cereal wont keep her more hydrated then regular fluids. To be honest. Cereal wont help hydration... she just needs fluids not food.

Orajel hardens gums, and prolongs the teething process, so while it does numb them it makes teething longer.

We used frozen washcloths, my daughter would suck on those. Depending on the age you can use the mesh feeders with cold fruit/veggies for the child to gnaw on.

Hylands teething tablets, and Herbs for Kids "gum-o-mile" are our household fav's. We rarely use tylenol... only when she had a really high fever. We avoid drugs at all cost here and it never sacrificed her comfort, she enjoyed the tablets and they helped relax her a lot.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• motrin and a cool wet washcloth :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 8:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My DD didn't like teething rings, tylenol didn't help, I couldn't figure it out. She liked to suck and chew on washclothes in her bath. I froze some soy sauce and duck sauce packages and she loved to teeth on those! They ARE CHOKING HAZARDS so if you do this, be RIGHT next to your LO. And don't give them anymore once the LO gets teeth lol

Another thing that worked great for DDs teething was to give her the end of a raw butternut/spaghetti squash. I would chill them overnight, and she would teeth like crazy on them! She couldn't break off big chunks, and since we eat a lot of squash, I wasn't wasting more money on teething rings that didn't work.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my daughter is teething now too. I have given her tylenol/ motrin daily, orajel a couple times, she likes the mesh feeder. Put her baby food in the frigde before giving it to her it will help her gums. Soothing baths help her calm down. a cold bottle or a sippy with ice water I would try for hydration. for crankiness I use vicks babyrub. I love it. Gl I know how hard it is expecially by yourself!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2009