Migraines

I have been getting migraines for about seven years now. They have been getting a lot worse lately and lasting a lot longer. My doctor won't look further into it because he thinks that a woman in her twenties couldn't possible have anything wrong with her. What should I do? Changing doctors is not an option since we are military and rely on our base hospital.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Health

• I'm military, too, and you can speak with your TriCare Case Manager (just contact TriCare to find out who it is and how to contact them) to speak about changing doctors or getting a referral to a participating civilian neurologist.
    Have they done a CT Scan or MRI on your head? Has your doctor given you a list of foods to avoid because they trigger migraines? Has he prescribed anything for you besides the "common" migraine medications? There are some anti-seizure and anti-depressant medications out there that can take away or reduce migraine episodes.
    I have a long history with migraines and have been through MANY different therapies, medications, and physicians for them. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for my depression and mentioned to her my migraines and she prescribed me an anti-seizure med that has taken them away. I get headaches always, but no migraines.
    Don't settle for that jerk doctor.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• are u on the heavy side i was watching the show you are what u eat and she say something about migraines the it have to do with your kidneys

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am not any where near the "heavy side." The heaviest I have ever been was when I was pregnant and I lost all that weight within a month of giving birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I suffer from migraines, and chronic headaches since puberty so your doctor is a dickhead. I know your pain. If your doctor won't help you, try acupuncture. It can be pretty affordable. I used it while I was pregnant because I couldn't take the prescription for my headaches. It worked for me, with the migraines. You have to go on a sort of regular basis, but that could be only once a month depending on how well it works for you. It was $15 dollars for a session that lasted about 40 minutes. its very relaxing too, you lay in a warm room with soft music and fall asleep. cont....

missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It can't hurt. Foods can trigger a migraine too like chocolate, certain types of artificial dyes, coffee, gluten. If you get them once a week, get a journal and write down everything you eat until you get a migraine and start eliminating any suspicious foods. Migraines can also be associated with depression, so if your insurance covers it, go to a pychiatrist and see what they say about it. they may be able to perscibe you something if you douch bag doctor won't help...good luck
    missv66

• Regardless of your weight, you probably have toxins in your body. You need to detox yourself. There are several different ways to do this & you should look into it to find the best one for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I appreciate all the answers, but I have been dealing with this for years now. I don't need to detox, since I don't put things in my body that shouldn't be there. I eat well, healthy natural foods. I don't even drink pop or eat fast food. I don't drink or smoke. I have been watching my diet for so long and taking care of my body that I just can't imagine that it good be any of those factors.
    Anonymous

• My sister 39 years old, her daughter 16, and my daughter 15 all take prescription med for migrains so this dr. of yours is probaly just not wanting to do extra work. They all have had scans of their heads, brains whatever and didnt see anything life threatening. My daughter takes a pill everyday and it is suposed to help her from getting them but it doesnt always work.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 5:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009