Education versus Laziness

Why are my tax dollars going towards education if teenagers can't even spell? If you are six years old and spell some SUM, that is one thing, but if you are 16 years old and spell it with a u..... Are you kidding me. Let me hear your opinions, are Americans just plain out stupid? Or are we really that lazy as a nation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Our education needs a complete overhaul and students should be made to learn reading, writing and arithmetic just like we did. I am amazed when I go someplace and pay with a dollar that the young cashier can't count change. I am not in agreement on just passing a student. If they can't do the proper work to go to go to the next grade, then they should be left behind. We have become a nation of ninnies and a "Not my child!" attitude. These kids are expected to go out and compete in a world that they can not even begin to be in. A high school education just does not do it anymore and those without one are having it even harder. Maybe if society was not so tolerant of kids at the malls and on the streets and actually made them pull up their pants and carry their own weight we and they would be better off. Scarey to think about the future......
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The internet has made language ignorant. It also drives me insane when I read something that is just plain poorly written. Texting is another example.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If you're going to be this picky about others, I damn sure hope that for my tax-dollar's sake you're a perfect person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Sorry I didn't realize I was going to offend all the lazy people out there who cant take the half a second extra to spell something correctly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• There's a line between nitpicking innocent mistakes and text speak. It's not a fine line. It's about the size of Montana. What's sad is that it's not just the basics of grammar that are missing, it's the concepts that go with them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• personally if I understand what is being said, I dont care. I would never purposly misspell something but thats just me. I am a terrible speller as it is lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:10 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Teens today can not spell worth a shit, they don't even have spelling test anymore where I live!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I don't use the "text spelling" but sometimes I don't spell that good because I'm usually in a hurry because I don't get much time on the computer. I hate it when people start telling me I'm uneducated and to go back to school just because i mis spelled a couple of words it's only cafemom not that big of a deal. You still get what I'm saying. so why does it bother you so much??
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If it is a text I don't think anything of it....

Other times, I am no spelling Bee and I would not correct a regular spelling mistake....but when someone's grammar/spelling are so poor that I cannot even understand what they wrote.... I do wonder WTH
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 3:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It is government education at its best. The job of public schools is to indoctrinate children to believe the government's point of views and to become good little worker bees. They don't want educated, free thinking children. They do exactly what they were designed to do and it has nothing to do with education.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 5:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2009