I want to purchase a new Bible

I'm interested in your opinions about which Bible I should get. I know there are a lot of different editions and publishers. I don't want a Bible that has a bunch of substituted words and I don't want it modernized to fit today. I would like it to be as accurate as possible, not someone's interpretation of what the Bible says.

Msaural

Asked by Msaural at 3:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• King James Version is as close to the original as you will find in a book store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Ha ha. That is all the bible is, someone's interpretation!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The Bible is always someone's interpretation of what someone says. Many times, the original language could mean several things. It takes several scholars years of discernment, knowledge of the language and history and comparison to surrounding chapters to pick the interpretation of the original text that best fits what they think the Bible's authors were trying to say.

I prefer an Interlinear Bible that contains the New American Standard as well as the Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic on the same page. These Bibles tend to asterisk the English words where they had trouble finding the best word, phrase when translating, provide you with the original word in the original language along with other possible meanings.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I disagree that the KJV is a good choice. It is anything but close to the original meanings from the original languages. KJV was translated with a political agenda by the ruling power at the time of its translation. It is a myth that it is the most accurate version.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• In our church we use the NKJV but at home I do my readings in the NLT. Then when I study I use www.blueletterbible.org because I can read the verses in all the translations and get a complete grasp as well as use the lexicon and do a word study.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I like NIV
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 5:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Get yourself a KJV or a NKJV with a good Bible dictionary.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I like the NIV or NKJV versions. McCarthur puts out a nice study Bible.
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 7:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My suggestion would be to go here http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=

pick a random passage and then use the scroll bar (Under Passage results) to go through the varying Bibles listed to find one whose translation you agree with.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• goodAnon 3:10, you're so much help here...not Anyway, I went to the One Way Book Store and looked through a few versions until I found one with large enough print VERY IMPORTANT for me, and I ended up with a NIV, Life in the Spirit Study BIble, it was a gift from my church and it has cross references, study notes, sectional headings,and themefinders....so that if you need information such as SALVATION, or PRAISE, you can find it immediately. It is great!

army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2009