Are baby shower presents considered "help"?

I was reading the answers to the question about the girl needing help to tell her mom she is pregnant and a thought popped in my head. Are baby shower gifts "help" to the new parents? In order to honestly raise a baby on your own wouldnt you have to do it with out these gifts?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 3:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No they're not help. Most parents buy the big stuff on their own and can buy the other stuff as well. Help is if you need it...gifts are to be nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't consider a gift help unless you asked for it then maybe.. BUt I see what you are saying.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 3:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• No they are gifts. If someone gives you a birthday present is that "help"?
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 3:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I guess you must have had an awesome baby shower. My husband and I bought our big items. The gifts given at our baby shower were outfits that a baby would wear once before growing out of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My DH and I bought all of things my daughter needed, the car seat/stroller, crib, play pen, ect. My baby shower was great, I appriciated everything, but it was blankets and clothes...which we also had. I didnt know people bought you "big" items for a baby shower til I went to my cousins...she hasnt bought ANYTHING, literally nothing...and she is due in a week.

For my next Im not buying a single thing til AFTER my shower lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We bought all of our big things, but we received many other things at our shower. We registered so, of course, we asked for these items. Did it feel like "help?' . . Of course not. These were my friends and family!!! We love to gift each other!! I have 3 baby showers to go to in the next 4 weeks . . I am excited!!!!!!!!!!! I love to give gifts!! Everyone enjoys buying something for a baby!!! Baby showers aren't charities, but a celebration!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:29 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Right now, to DH and myself, we consider them help. I don't knwo how we would do all of this on our own. WE're VERY thankful for the friends and family we have.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Baby showers are to help set the mother with what she will need to care for the baby. So, while they are gifts...the gifts are also the "help".

This is why baby showers are supposed to be only given for the first baby, unless it has been over 5 years since the last baby...then it's (proper etiquette) to have another thrown for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• to me baby showers are a celebration for the new baby and to congratulate the parents on ALL their children, whether it be the first or the fifteenth. you wouldn't consider it helping a parent to buy gifts for a 10 yo, so why consider it help to give a gift to an expecting parent/future baby?
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 9:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Uhhh no. Its just people wanting to celebrate the baby by giving it gifts. It has nothing to do with "helping" the parents. People buy all kinds of shit you DONT need for baby showers so how would that be help? I mean who needs 10 baby picture frames or cute diaper covers?? If it was really "help" they would be buying diapers, shampoo, sheets, clothing, cribs, swings, etc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2009