For reals ladies.... which is better, plastic or glass bottles?

I keep reading things about both. It doesn't seem like glass has any problems... other than being breakable in extreme temp changes. I'm just trying to get ready for the mommy thing... and contradicting articles are not helping me at all.

emmetsmom09

Asked by emmetsmom09 at 3:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was going to use glass only, but now that so many of the plastic ones are BPA free I use glass at home and BPA free plastic while out because I am always afraid of dropping a glass one and having it break - also glass is heavier
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 3:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Plastic is fine as long as it's BPA free. I know I drop my bottles all the time...glass would be spendy b/c I'd be breaking it left and right.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yeah I would go with plastic. I had glass bottles and 3 out of 6 already broke. Also we used them when my son was walking so that didnt help. So if you feel safer with glass use them when your baby is a new born and doesn't have to hold the bottle then when your baby is older switch to plastic. I say that only cuz you can put the glass in the dishwasher and I never trusted putting the plastic in there even if it was BPA safe...just my option.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Plastic is just as good as long as it's BPA free.
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The absolute best bottle is the one the baby will take! It doesn't matter what it's made of! It can be the most expensive one out there and if the baby doesn't take it.....it sucks.

I used playtex with the drop-ins for the older two...and the cheap (under a buck) ones from Walmart for my youngest (*gasp* before all this "BPA" crap was shoved down our throats in the media)

Glass is heavy and breakable...and if the baby is holding it by itself...throwable! I'd stick with plastic, personally.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Glass personally. Less chemicals. Plastic is a chemical, whose molecules can changed and release toxins when warmed, after being run through a dishwasher, etc.

I don't generally let baby sit alone with a bottle, but I breastfeed but never really worried about her launching bottles. . Glass is more environmentally friendly then plastic too.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I know they say the plastic ones are safe now, but I'm still worried about heating up plastic. There are just too many cases where gov't agencies have come back years later and said, "Oops, we were wrong.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• breast
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We've used both. I've liked both, but ended up going back to plastic, because the glass kept breaking. I would've gone broke if I kept using the glass bottles.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i use plastic but my child goes to daycare and if i used glass they wouldn't let her go. So if your deciding to go bk to work then I would check with the child care provider
    Madelyn_Marie

Answer by Madelyn_Marie at 9:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2009