my 9 month old sleeps face down!

I always put my 9 month old lying down on her back to sleep. She likes to sleep on her side so I let her, But then she ends up rolling onto her stomach and waking up the falling back asleep on her stomach with her face down in the matress where I cant even see her nose or mouth. I try to turn her over but I hate to bother her sleep because it takes a while for her to fall back alseep if I wake her sometimes. This scares me so much to think that she cant breath if her face is in her mattress.Also all she has in her crib is a fitted sheet and a light blanket swaddled around her body and another blanket over the top of her. Should I even worry that she's not getting enough oxygen or what? Is this safe for her? Please help My husband and I are both worried.

annamichelle608

Asked by annamichelle608 at 3:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies can sleep on the belly once they have the ability to move if they cant breath. And at nine months she can turn her head or roll over if she cant breath, if thats how she likes to sleep let her sleep that way, the risk for SIDS is over, and she will be fine. but if your really worried talk to her doctor.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son does the same thing and at times i get nervous but the doctor said sinse he can roll over and turn his head He hould be fine. So I put him on his back an normally within 15 min hes on his stomache butt in the air.
    carrole27

Answer by carrole27 at 5:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son did this also, just keep an eye out for her. If she cant roll from her belly back to side postion then I suggest you go purchase one of those baby sleeper pillows, its two pillows that are attached then the baby goes in the middle this helps them stay on their back. I used this for a few months for my son. I was a very worried new mommy, my son had sleep apnea at birth so anything scared me having to do with sleep. Wanna know more message me :) GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The risk of SIDS doesn't have anything to do with it....the original poster is concerned about suffocation, which is totally different.

I do agree that if she can't breathe, she will turn her head. But if concerned (my boys did it once in a while, too) just gently turn her head. No need to turn her over...just turn her head a little.

Try it on your bed...you'll have a harder time breathing and will want to turn your head...but your mattress won't block the air unless you really push your face in...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2009