HOW can I get MY 8YR. old TO be A better SISTER to THE 2yr. OLD?

Well, my eight year old daughter is so mean to her baby sister. Shes nice to her other baby cousins but when it comes to her own simbling shes unpatient and just cold towards her. My two year old loves her big sister too. I take things away and I give special treats for good behavier but it doesnt encourage her to be a better sister. My son whos the oldest is a super big bro but my daugter just isn't interested. What do I do to take care of this or what could I do to change this? It really makes me sad to see her so distant from her baby sister.........is this NoRmAl?

sholie

Asked by sholie at 4:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it is perfectly normal,with the age difference,there is probably some jealousy,but just try get a abysitter for the wee one ,and take her out ,just you and her,so she feels,you still,your love for her has'nt changed,do something she likes to do.not just once,but set times,that are good for you,and try to keep it up. good luck sweety.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It sounds to me like maybe she's feeling left out and blaming it on the little one. My DD goes through this sometimes where she wants nothing to do with her brother and then the next day she back to loving him. Maybe put aside some time once a week to spend just you and your 8 year old. Get her involved with the 2 year old on the rest of the days. Have her pick out her clothes in the morning and help get her dressed. It will give her more pride in her sister kowing how much she (and you) need her. Stress to her how much of a big help she is and how you can't do it with out her. I know that really seems to help with my DD.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2009