should a baby with severe egg allergies avoid any 6month vaccines?

She is also allergic to dairy, soy, all nuts, and seafood/shellfish. I heard that some of the shots have egg extracts and I don't want her to get hurt. I really don't want to hear "scare tactics" for either side, about autism or crippling polio. I've done lots of research and have decided to vaccinate my daughter as I believe it is the correct choice in our situation. But this egg thing is worrying me.

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 7:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• be forewarned..you'll get a ton of inbox messages on why you should not vaccine alltogether!! if i were you i would delete this and repost it anon. i did this last week and would have gone anon if i'd known.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The only vaccination that is not for children with egg allergies is the Flu vaccine (which is very much optional)...given at around 1 year old (double shot the first time around given a month apart). The doctor or nurse will ask first if your child is allergic to eggs before administering, so you don't have to worry if it will be given to your child unsuspectingly.

I think it's great that you're not buying in to all the hype about vaccines, and that you've done you're OWN research! I agree with your stance wholeheartedly!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would definitely research every vaccine individually. Drs have NEVER asked me if I had allergies, or if DD had allergies to anything in vaccines. Ask your pedi for the vaccine inserts and read them thoroughly. Call the vaccine manufacturing company for a complete list of ingredients in every vaccine. This is the only way you can be positive you are not exposing your LO to the egg ingredients. Most Drs do not know the ingredient in every vaccine, so you MUST research this entirely yourself. It is OK to hold off on vaccines until you know what is in them.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Your daughter sounds like my son, except he isn't allergic to soy. The only vaccine that we have been told to avoid was the flu shot. His dr. actually said that unless the reaction to egg was anaphylactic they could still get a flu shot, it wasn't something I was going to take a chance on though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would just talk to your pediatrician. He/she will know what to do since they know your daughter and know about her allergies and know what's in the vaccine.

You can run across a lot of false ingredient lists on the internet and I wouldn't want you to be misled.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Your pediatrician should have a list of the indigridents in every single vaccine. You can ask to look at the list. I did to check for the presence, absence, and amount of mercury in the vaccination. Also alert your pediatrician about your child's allergies before the doctor orders the shots, and alert the person performing the vaccination. As long as your pediatrician knows about her allergies, I am sure she will take all precautions to avoid the vaccinations that have the allergens.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2009