has anyone's child had to have general anesthesia for surgery?

My son will be 2 in May, he's been having boody stool for the past 3 months and the dr's finally decided that he needs surgery to remove polyps. He said he would be under general anesthesia and need to have a feeding tube the night before to "clean him out". Has anyone's child had surgery or anesthesia that can shed some light on what takes place,how they administer the anesthesia, how their kids was when he woke up,ect. Any Information will help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had general anesthesia. He's had 3 sets of ear tubes. The last set they put him under general because he had his adenoids removed too. I don't think they used general for the other 2 surgeries but I could be wrong. Before they took him back they gave him some kind of meds to relax him because he wouldn't even let them do his blood pressures. Whatever they gave him made him laugh at everything. He was very loopy and relaxed. It was cute. Then they put him in a wagon and took him back to give him the anesthesia for surgery. When he woke up he was much crankier than the other 2 sets of ear tubes. But I think it was from the adenoid removal. He did well though. Drank apple juice, was monitored for like 2 hours then got to go home. I hope this helps. Good luck with your son. I hope he feels better soon.
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 7:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My ds is 19 mo and about 2 months ago he had surgery to correct a bad circ. As the above poster mentioned, they did give my ds some "goofy juice" before any anesthesia. It just really relaxed him so that he would go with the nurse without putting up a fight. We weren't there when the actual anesthesia was there (it was done in the OR). After his surgery we were taken back to his recovery room. He had already been back there for about 20 mins while we talked to the surgeon, so we had about another 30 mins before they released him. The nurse told us to go ahead and give him a dose of Tylenol with codeine about 2 hours after we left to basically have it in his system before the anesthesia completely wore off because of the sensitivity of the area he had surgery. We did that, but that was the only dose he needed. About 4 hours after surgery, he was back to his normal self.

katyuwf

Answer by katyuwf at 8:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2009