Frequency of nursing at 7 months

I am trying to get my daughter on more of a schedule to help her sleep better at night. She has become a cat napper. How many nursings do I need to do during the day to keep up my milk supply and keep her satisfied?

margaritas7

Asked by margaritas7 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If you want to do a schedule that's great! Makes things predictable so you can go out and not worry about NIP. My 7 month old eats every 4 hours and then before bed I fed her at 2 hours.

Example: she eats at noon then again at 4 and again at 8. Then I feed her at 10 to make sure she goes to sleep with a full belly.

Hope this helps.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 10:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• IMO setting too fixed a schedule during the day is a recipe for lot of nursing at night. I'd nurse on demand during the day. My 6 1/2 mo nurses something crazy like every hour and a half, sometimes every hour. My first daughter was the same way. But both adjusted quickly to night weaning around 6 months. By 7 months your baby is probably capable of fasting for 10-12 hours at night, but that assumes full access to the breast during the day.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We basically schedule feed my 6 month old, if she's hungry before it's time to feed her I will feed her still, but I basically can count on nursing her every 3 hours and towards the end of the day it can go to 4 hours (depending on how long of a nap she takes in the afternoon). And she nurses 5 times a day and sleeps 12 hours straight at night.

She goes to bed at 8 and wakes up at 8. But if she wakes up at 7 I'll feed her then and adjust the schedule to that. For example, if she wakes up at 7 then I'll usually feed her again at 10, but if she wakes up at 8 I'd feed her at 11.

Our days are predictable as they can be for a baby, and babies like to have routine and schedule in their lives. It makes them feel safe.

Good Luck!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Your answer: Nurse as often as possible. Make sure you're nursing before solids.

There is no magic number of nursings that will achieve what you're looking for...on demand means literally that and continues all through year

And STILL don't expect her to sleep long stretches...many babies just don't do that in the first year.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2009