Does any one know if I can keep my two year old at the hospital with me....

when I deliver? I know that he would have to go out when Im actually delivering the baby but I dont really trust or have any family to keep my son over night while my husband and I are at the hospital. And I honestly dont want to be left alone there while my husband goes home with him cause Im very attatched to me son. I was thinking about during the day my husband could walk with him around the hospital and maybe take him to McDonalds and then for the two nights he could sleep in his pack in play. Do hospitals let you do this? I really dont have a choice unless my husband leaves me and stays at home but what man would want to do that. He wants to be with me and his new baby. Any one know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I was at the hospital for my second baby I was only able to have my first there between a certain time and he had to be attended at all times.
    mommAXofXtwo

Answer by mommAXofXtwo at 9:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It depends on the hospital,my Brother,and his wife kept my nephew with them,but remember,you too are going to need your rest,and the two yr old will get vey bored,and rowdy,not saying yours is,but he wanted to constantly go home,so the next baby the boys stayed with me,and I took them for visits .
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• call the hospital or ask your doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My 20 yr old dd just had her second baby. She went into labor in the evening and I was her coach. Her fiance stayed with their 2 yr old and came in after she delivered. I asked the nurses about my 2 yr old grandson staying overnight and they said it was fine with them as long as dad always stays with the 2 yr old and doesnt leave mom with both the newborn and the 2 yr old for any reason. Just call the hospital and ask and they may even be able to bring in an extra cot for him to sleep in like they did for my dd.

Answer by gemgem at 9:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I dunno I think it depends on the hospital.I live in a small town so I think they would be okay with that but only if hubby was the one attending to the 2 year old at all times since they want mom to get rest. i'd call and ask
    mrslloyd

Answer by mrslloyd at 9:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• depends on the hospital . i know at summerlin here in las vegas they can only stay til 10 pm . also if they are under 12 they cant be in the labor and delivery room at all .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• WHen I got pregnant this last time I saw an OB for a short time(we had another homebirth though) and the doctor was willing to ask them to allow my two year old. He said they could but only because he was still nursing. They said the hospital would make exceptions even for older nurslings. I was told that in regular circumstances he wouldn't have been allowed to stay.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• You need to ask the hospital. It's likely the answer is no. The hospital staff doesn't want to watch your kid for you, and you're going to be tired and need to take care of the baby. Either have your husband go home at night and come back in the morning with your kid, or arrange for a friend or family member to take your child over night.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• At the hospital here, it's a no. I mean, they kicked her and my DH out of the room when I went to L&D for severe bleeding, when they both should have been able to stay. Hospital rules regarding children and family are absolutely ridiculous and I do NOT agree with them.

If everything is ok with you and the baby after birth, sign the AMA forms and go home. There is ZERO reason to stay overnight at all. You only need to be there for a couple hours, at most, especially if there is nothing wrong and it's a vaginal delivery that resulted in a perfectly healthy child.

I am having this baby at home for many reasons, but 1 was that my daughter was NOT going to be subjected to staying with people she doesn't know well nor was my husband going to not be with me for the birth because we don't have people who can watch her. (We just moved to a new area).
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my dd is 20 months and she will be staying home during the labor and birth with my mother or sister. and then if I have to stay over night my hubby will be going home to be with her . I love my dd to death but I dont think I will be a very good mommy to her when I am in the sort of pain
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 2:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2009