Two year old son refuses to talk when I know he can.....

My son trys to put off like he doesnt know how to talk but I no thats bull. He is just spoiled rotten and expects me to just know what he wants. I started this new thing were if he points to something I act like I dont know what he wants or if he wants to watch TV I tell him TV please. But this is the out come I have gotten so far.... he will go almost half the day with out any TV and even a brownie!!! He loves brownies but when I tell him brownie please he just looks at me and acts like he cant say it. This is how I know he cant talk.... first off hes 27 months old and says shoes, juice, truck, ball and brumm brumm for binky. I know this is a small voc. but his speech thera. is working with him and me. How do I get my stubborn two year old to talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know what they say, " we spend the first 2 years of life trying to get them to talk and the next 16 trying to get them to shut up!" If their hearing has been checked I wouldn't worry
    Zippie

Answer by Zippie at 9:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Children are like adults sometimes. They only speak when they want something understood. Some babies are quiet, some are not. He can probably hold a conversation with you, but, he just doesn't want too.I wouldn't worry about it. If he has a speech problem, thats a different story because he may get aggravated at speaking and won't because of the aggravation. One day he may suprise you.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• try playing music so he can sing maybe it is a stress thing maybe it stresses him to be looked at two is a fun but strange age it can drive you banans he might just be testing what he can get away with we sing alot around here so maybe try that
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Follow the recommendation of his speech therapist. If he points to something he wants, expect him to at least try to say what he wants, even if he just says "ba" for Ball. If a point gets him what he wants then he has no reason to talk. If he gets frustrated, ask the therapist about teaching him some simple sign language, just to give him a way to communicate until the speech comes along. He will drop the signs once he begins to talk.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Maybe you just have to wait until he's ready to talk,my oldest daughter didn't talk until she was almost 3 and now she never shuts up(shes almost 5 by the way)
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009