MEMO TO SERVERS: I didnt tip you well because...

If you could tell a server why they didnt get the tip they expected, what would you say?

We had our bi-weekly budgeted eat out last night. Our server kept putting things down in front of our 13 mth old baby. Hot plates, full drinks etc. I would have to grab his reaching hands and move the items myself. If I hadnt been quick enough it could have been horrible! She also 'forgot' we wanted his food brought with the appetizers so it would have time to cool and he could begin eating and not become antsy and disturb others dining. I would remind servers that the smaller your customer, the more care they need.

Tinkerpug

Asked by Tinkerpug at 9:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• To the Server at IHop- I didn't tip you at all because you took away my half-eaten plate while I had to take my newly potty trained son to the bathroom. You then accused me of skipping out on the bill (our things were still on the table) and then refused to replace our dinner without charging us extra. Not only did you not receive a tip but you also lost our business for good.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would write

MEMO TO SERVER: You did not receive a tip from me for the following reasons:

1. You brought me a drink in a dirty cup that had trsh in it.
    2. You never brought my appetizer, but still charged me for it.
    3. When you saw my daughter drop her fork, you didn't bother to ask if we'd like a new one. Instead my dear husband had to go ask someone for one.
    4. 40 minutes for a high chair? Seriously?
    5. You came to our table 3 times. That was it. We ran out of drinks and had to get a different server to help us.

So this is the only tip you will be receiving: Work harder and be more attentive!
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 9:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I was a server so I usually stop them and tell them why they didnt get a good tip from me. If I cant and its busy I just leave one penny upside down on the table because all servers know that means they gave bad service and they can think about why and usually figure it out.

Answer by gemgem at 9:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I didnt know about the penny thing. Thanks for the tip...no pun intended!
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 9:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am a VERY generous tipper, but I don't give a damn about the required 20%. If my server is great, or it's obvious their doing their very best but still having a bit of a hard time, I will tip my ass off. Because I've been there, and I have zero tolerance for poor service simply because of neglect. As taxing as serving is, you can pay attention to your tables, and think that three or fours steps ahead about what would impress them....like if your restaurant offers free rolls, don't be stupid-bring the rolls and probably some small glasses of water and extra napkins to start off with when you go greet them. No one likes to wait. If I could say something to them....I guess it would be the typical, "what did you expect? you didn't serve me tonight, I was an inconvenience to you and you more than let me know."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• well i didnt tip you because there was a bug inn our food and then you should have gave us something free or maybe the meal and then the manager refused to come handle the situation...........................so guess what happened after that... we left and i called to get the managers name to report them and then they called my phone back and were trying to argue with us and fight us.. i was pissed they called my phone back.. BITCHES... i mad again thinking about it.. lol..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• -because you did not smile
    -because you did not ask me how I was doing
    -because you acted like it was a hassle that you forgot to bring silverware, napkins and refills on drinks
    -because you expected to cram 3 children, two who were in highchairs, and 2 adults, not to mention 2 diaper bags and two purses into a booth meant for four. NO WAY can two children sit at the end of a booth and have equal space!
    -because one person took my order, a different person brought my food, and a whole other person was actually my server. WHO THE HELL am I supposed to tip? Ive waitressed and done it all myself. Why do you need 3-4 people to take care of one table with a party of 5?
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• im racking my brain to come up with an answer to this question but i cant think of anything right this second. lol this is a really good question though
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Dear Server, we left 10% to be polite. We won't be back. We waited too long in a half full restaurant for you to show up at all, then too long after telling what we wanted to drink before taking our orders, then too long before bringing our orders, which could have been the kitchen's fault not yours, but then you didn't come back when I discovered that my potato was rotten in the middle and I had to find another server to locate you, and then when I found my steak was rare instead of well done, you never came and I had to find another server to find you again, finally we had all of our food, 2 hours later.You took forever to get the check to us, and even though you said you'd take the check, you never showed, so we left the money and walked out. Here's a tip, when you serve the food check and see if it is OK and if the customer has everything they need, and stop flirting or watching the TV or whatever you were doing.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Here's one that happened to us in the French restaurant in Disneyworld:

Dear Server, We left you a 15% tip to be polite,but it could have been much more than that because we were on vacation and ready to have a wonderful time. You took too long to wait on us even at the beginning, but we knew the place was busy. Then when you took so long to bring us our appetizers and apologized because you were doing paper work, we thought, OK, not a problem, but the whole meal was served after long delays, the people on both sides of us finished their meals, and the customers who took their places were well into theirs before we were even served. It got out of hand. This may not have been your problem, but we'll not go back to this restaurant. You seemed like a nice guy, but you did not do well by us.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009