How do you teach a one year old not to hit?

When you pop their hand for getting in to things.

cmahalitc

Asked by cmahalitc at 9:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you are smacking his hands when he get into things he should not, you are teaching him that hitting someone is acceptable. He does not understand why you are smacking his hand and how there is a difference between yours and his. So first of all you need to come up with a different way of responding to his getting into things. Most of the time redirection from thos things helps. Remove him from it calmly, and just say,"No touching, lets play with_____. Do not make a big deal when he does touch things he shouldn't. Often little ones do things over and over because they like the response they get from you. If you yell and get all upset, this gives him attention and quite a show! He will do it again. If he continues to hit, then sit him in a time out area away from toys, TV, etc. Say in a calm voice, "This is time out for hitting mommy", we use easy touches or nice hands" Show him what an easy touch is.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• im trying to figure out the same thing. my son beats me.. lol hes only one
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If you figure it out, let me know. My son is 15 months and is a little demon about hitting. He'll smack, hit, kick, and hit us with things and then laugh. He thinks it's even more funny to "pat" the dogs because they fight back and act like they're going to do something about it.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Exactly this is the same thing we are going through, he does the same to the dogs!
    cmahalitc

Answer by cmahalitc at 10:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• this is the same thing im going through with my son he we will be one next month .and he thinks its funny when he hits me
    luvmommy42208

Answer by luvmommy42208 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son does it too, i put him in time out and talk to him about it, then he says sorry. He still doesit again, but it works for a while.
    LV981

Answer by LV981 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2009