Is this a reason to visit the ER?

I started my period yesterday & have went through MANY super plus tampons. I bleed very heavily with my periods since the birth of my third daughter. This morning I woke up coverd in blood (I sleep in a Super tampon plus a pad). So I changed & literally 10 mins later I was leaking through the Super tampon. If this keeps up should I go to the ER or is it bad enough to go now? I don't have a doctor or insurance so the ER is my only option. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Health

• no, I went through the same thing.....wasn't too worried until almost literally what you just described happened to me. I did call my doctor, she just said it will take a few weeks and it's like the period from HELL. I'm so sorry, I've been there. good luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I was told soaking a super pad in an hour was reason to go to the hospital.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Well, tampons won't fit the same way now. When you removed it, was it completely soaked or were there still white spots? I know that I can leak but the tampon's not soaked.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would wait and see how thing progress. It does sound like the period from hell as the pp mentioned. Are you experiencing anything else that is causing you concern, like severe cramping or anything like that? Personally I would wait see if things get better or wose, for me I would have to have another symptom that would prompt me to go. Now if I was bleeding like that for more than a 2 or 3 days then I might think about going. I hope you start feeling better soon.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would go to the ER just to make sure everything is ok but then again you may just have a heavy flow.I get through two super tampons and two thick pads a night when I am on ym period
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• BTW... you should NEVER sleep in a tampon..thats a good way to get toxic shock syndrome. Just wear a big pad and sleep on a thick towel.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• could be developing fibroids
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• First off, the ER is not your only option. Any doctor will see patients that don't have insurance. It usually costs $70 for an office visit and often they will give you medication samples. There is no reason to spend hundreds of dollars at an ER for something that can be dealt with tomorrow at a doctor. Use a tampon and a heavy duty pad tonight. I often have to do that at night on my heavy days. It does sound like you are bleeding heavily, but I don't think you have to run to the ER. If it keeps up for another day or so, call a local OB/GYN and tell them you need to be seen and why.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2009