To all you step parents

Do you really like your step children? Do you treat them as if you they were your real child? Or is there favoritism between your step Child and real Child?
Just curious, I grew up with a step mother and father- It Sucked! I would never want my kids to go through that Shit.

Goldenbrowny

Asked by Goldenbrowny at 10:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yup- I love the little guy, I treat him as one of my own and love him as much as 'my' children. There is definitely no favoritism.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:24 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I love my step son very much, but I will be honest, we don't have the bond that I have with the children I carried and raised from the time they were born. I try not to favor any of the kids and treat them all fairly. At times I think I'm harder on my boys. My SS lives with us FT and I think the time he gets to spend with his father makes it all worth it. He lived with his mom until about a year ago and there was definite favoritism there. She has 2 little girls with her husband and both she and her husband clearly favored the girls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• nope i love my dsd and my dss very much, and they are so much more well behaved than my son its hilarious. my son is a rable rouser and these 2 are SO proper. i think my son is more fun but i love them all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have two stepboys, 6 and 4. I love them to the moon and back and make sure that every child in my household is treated fairly.

A lot of people ask, "do you love them as your own?" and I don't think it's really the question that's being asked. If you love your kid/stepkid, then you love your kid/stepkid. There's no quantification or comparison needed.

The relevent queston is "do you treat them the same way?" Well, there are always going to be adjustments made for having two households. I can register my kid for activities, but I can't register my stepkid because his mother refuses to allow us to the point of getting a judge to decree who can sign children up for extracurricular activities and when. I'm not going to punish my child by not signing him up for anything because his brothers' mom has control issues, ya know?

Fair isn't always equal, but every kid in my house feels loved and cherished.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2009