• In the Spotlight:

MY SON HAS ADHD BAD MED'S ARE NOT WORKING!!

HIS GRADE'S ARE MOSTLY F'S. EVERYTHING I DO DOES NOT SEEM TO HELP. HE DOE'S NOT LIKE TO WRITE AT ALL. I HAVE TRIED YELLING,BEING CALM TREAT'S,THE GOAL CHART, EACH AND ALL FOR FOR A LENGTHFUL TIME. HE JUST HATE'S SCHOOL. WHAT DO I DO??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• What kind of medication is he on and how old it he? my son is adhd!! i feel you r pain!!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 10:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Well talk to the doctor before you take him off meds. They may not be what he needs or he may need an adjustment or different type. Have you talked to the school counselor and social worker? They may offer additional help. What about private counselling? Don't give up. Keep asking for help. My other thought is does his district offer an alternative school of choice for kids having problems? He may like it better if he is feeling left out or has low self-esteem.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• When my son was on Aderall it was awful!! It didn't work with his chem at all, but the Concerta works wonderfully. Finding the right medication is a trial and error time period and can take a while to find the correct one that works well for HIM.
    With all of that being said, my son HATES school. Always has. I talked to his teacher and instead of getting an IEP for him, she just did as much as she can, without having to have him repeatedly tested over and over again. Trev is a solid C student, sometimes it's a D or a B, but mostly a solid C and I am okay with that. As long as I know that he did the best that he could do.
    My prayers are with you and your son, I know how hard it is, if you ever just want to vent to someone PM me and I'll listen!! lol!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 10:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Go back to the dr. Try a diff. med. could be other issues going on, learning disability etc. Its okay not to like school as long as he is trying but if he fails even if he tries then he's prob. given up. What about tutoring? Evaluation for other issues? Making accomodations at school or for h.w?
    Maybe not ALL the h.w. in one sitting but breaking it up -- my friend folds her daughters math h.w. into 4 parts b/c if she sees the whole thing she gets overwhelmed.
    Also sports etc. to burn off energy. Diet modification etc.
    Meds are very personal what works for one does not work for the other.
    All the interventions in the world won't help if they are not targeted specifically to the issue. Break it down, look at everything and try to pinpoint as exactly as you can where he is having issues-- make a list and target each one specifically.
    P.S. there is a stage b/f the IEP called 504...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• 504's are for medical issues (ADD falls under there).
    I'm sure you've tried many of these but I figured I'd just throw a bunch of ideas.
    Goal/charts are great but no they don't work for everyone and also sometimes they have to be tweaked (change the reward or make the goal more specific -- break it down and then build up)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• what about adding coffee or a coke in the morning to help. I know it helps some kids.
    Anonymous

• My son was on 3 meds before we found one that worked. Call his doctor. Mine is on Vyvanse 70mg a day and it works great with few side effects. Also, make sure the school sets up an ADEP, Attention Defecit Education Plan... like an IEP but for kids that just have ADD/ADHD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my son has a mild form of add. he does not like to write either and he rushes through everything to get it over with. I recently told him that i was going to start having him write 25 sentences every time he completed his homework incorrectly due to his lack of reading and following directions. it is working already. At first, he would sit and complain about having to do them and actually have fits! (he never really even had tantrums when he was a toddler!) I made sure not to let him get a way with not doing them and he could not do anything else until every sentence was written...neatly. Once he even sat at the kitchen table for an hour! Everyday for he first week he did at least 50 sentences but now its tapering off and his work is getting better. Oh and I give him breaks too (no too long), they need that especially with the add.
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 5:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Meds may not be the answer because ADHD may not be the real issue. Request RAST allergy testing for IgG & IgE specific to foods. He may have an intolerance issue that is manifesting as behavioral & learning problems. Dairy & wheat are big culprits. Try eliminating artificial colors, flavors, & HFCS from his diet. Took us 8 yrs to find this out.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I feel your pain, my son is in 5th grade and every parent teacher conference was.. Josh talks all the time, Josh never uses his time wisely, Josh is never prepared, etc.... Homework was a nightmare we were at the table at least 2 hours a night. one day after 6 hours at the table doing homework I lost it, cried for hours. I called his doctor and the way she explained it to me was that if the blower in the class room kicked on, you just lost his attention and forget asking him why he does the things he does because he does not know,they want excel but can't. After speaking with her I agreed to try him on Vayvanse (50mil). In 1 week he did a complete turn around, he went from d's and f's to the honor roll, his homework is no longer a fight, he is done in less than an hour. Talk to your doctor again, try another med. When you find the right one you will see a difference in him. Josh's appetite is less but that's it.

lookin4deals

Answer by lookin4deals at 1:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009