22 month old grandson will not eat any chopped beef, chicken etc.. only will eat pasta and bread.. refuses all vegetables no matter which way i present them... worried that he is not getting enough iron etc...

he is allergic to eggs as well. do others have children with such picky eating habits. Not used to this situation and not sure how to handle it.

beebycarolann

Asked by beebycarolann at 10:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would keep offering the good stuff. I would also try chicken nuggets b/c they are softer than regular chicken. Keep trying the vegetables and have the little one see you eat the veggies. They will eventually get the hint. Was this LO a good eater as an infant? If they weren't that is where the problem lies. My LO will eat anything I give her. She loves off the wall veggies like beets. I don't know, but she can't get enough of her veggies. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• At his age he is just learning how to manipulate. He has developed a taste for refined carbs. Yuck. Anyway, what I would do is offer only vegetables, limited fruit, and meats. Nothing else, even when he throws a fit. He will eat when he is hungry. He won't starve.
    I didn't have any eating problems with my kids, mainly because of our eating habits. I did have a my neice for a couple of years and she was very picky when I got her. I offered as said, and it took a little bit and a lot of patience, but she got it.
    Oh, and I allow about 20 minutes for dinner, that is plenty of time to eat. Then I pick up the plates and nothing more is offered for the night.
    I will not fight with them.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son is 5 and goes through phases. There was a time when he ate chicken, steak, pork chops...etc.. whatever I made for dinner he ate. Now he only wants pepperoni pizza every night. He only wants Gogurt for lunch and only Muffin Tops for breakfast. He does eat apples and granola bars as well as fruit snacks and Reeses. LOL. I continue to offer him healthier choices but I don't push it. That's just me, I feel that the more I try to push the healthy stuff, the less he is interested in it. Eventually his pizza/gogurt/muffin tops phase will pass. That's just a kid being a kid.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• how about the multivitamin for infants and toddlers, it is called Poly-Vi-Sol made by Enfamil...i was told by my doc to give it to my baby because i was Exclusively breastfeeding, to make sure she was getting everyhting she needs, it doesn't taste good and smells awful! but if he won't take that, try the flinstones vitamins!
    december911

Answer by december911 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would never put a time limit on how long my child has to finish his dinner. Personally I don't think 20 minutes is long enough. How would you like it if you're at a restaurant and the waiter comes and takes YOUR plate after 20 minutes, and you're not done?? I don't fight with my child either, and especially not over how long it takes them to eat! And I don't agree with putting a child to bed hungry. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i bet you my son is a lot worse than your grandson . I have a 2 year old that won't eat any pasta , or veggies . things he likes is ... yogurt, chicken nuggets, burgers, pizza, cheese , crackers, fruit,cereal . that's about it !! sometimes he'll eat applesauce . i actually had a nutrionist come out to my house and evaluate him , she said his weight is fine , and to just keep offering it and to let him see me eat the things i want him to eat . i also started my child on a chewable childrens vitamin with iron because i'm worried about vitamins too . he takes half of one every morning . try and see if he'll eat wheat toast that's a good thing ! i feed my son the chicken nuggets from costco , they are dinosaur shaped and that's what got him to eat them , they are baked not fried and have no trans fat , he loves to dip them in ranch .
    caliluv15

Answer by caliluv15 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 22 month old. He doesn't seem to like the texture. he doesn't like anything that he has to work for to swallow basically, not even oranges because they have that tough stringy skin. My pediatrician told me to just start giving him flinstones vitamins, you can't go wrong, because they will get all they need from there. she had a good suggestion, most kids will eat chicken nuggests, mine wont, but yeah.. i also try to hide stuff, like ill put two pieces of break together and hide a piece of meat in there and hell just eat it.. :-)
    Anonymous

• The vitamins with iron are a great idea, but please LOCK THEM UP in a tackle box with a number pad lock or combination lock. Children can get fatally sick on an overdose of iron. A toddler relative of mine got a jar of vitamins off the top of the refrigerator!!!! (chair, cabinet, fridge, you do the math! LOL!) ---(Child-proof lids, No such thing....) Her mom called poison control, they asked her if they had IRON in them, luckily they didn't and she was fine. If they had of had iron, she would have had to taken her to the ER to have her stomach pumped.....don't want that.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2009