To all parents out there that had kids at a young age

If you had to do it all over again, would you have waited until you were older to have kids?
I would have to say no, I was 17 when I had my son, I had so much fun with him!
I did have some help from my mom the first year, due to being in school.
But through out the years it has been nice! It has just been the last year that has been challenging for me, you know the teen age years, he is interested in girls etc..
But it is nice that I am still young and can relate to him

Goldenbrowny

Asked by Goldenbrowny at 10:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am right there with you!! I had my first at 18 and althrough then I would of changed it, being 29 and all of our kids are old enough we are able to find babysitters and have a good time, but all of our friends who are ust now having kids, we joke that they are just starting and that our oldest will beout of the house hre in 8 yrs!!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 10:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yes I would do it all over again. I had my first at 18, in college and working. It was very hard. Not everyone is able to get help the first years by their parents. I had my second at 29 and it was a whole different ballgame. I was settled, educated and had resources that were not available as a teen on my own.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• No, I would not do it all over again. I was 19 when I got pregnant and I waas 20 when I had my son. Looking back I realize that I still had a lot of growing up to do. I feel like my son missed out out on quite a few things because I was to busy with my head up my own butt. This is why I am against teenage pregnancy 100%.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Let me correct that....No I would not do it all over again...I thought I said that.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• no i wouldnt, i had no business having a son at 20, im not emotionally mature enough
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i had my first son at 17. i lived with my mom till he was one. i raised him BYMYSELF w/no help frm my mom. i found places to help tho.. when he was 1.5 yrs i met my husband and we had 2 kids together, 2 yrs apart. I am 24 right now. I wish that i could go out and do what other pepl my age are doing. or just go see a movie (not animated) or go to the lake and canoe(you cant with small children). I dont regret haing my kids-not one bit-they are my life...but i wish i wouldve been less selfish enuf to wait. I thot having kids early wudnt change anything and itd be fub cuz im young; but now that their all over 2 yrs, i wanna go have time to myself and do the things i missed out on..teens should def. wait!!!
    MamaCass2003

Answer by MamaCass2003 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• No I wouldnt. I had my first at 17 I am now about to be 20 and have 3. I have hard days alot but I love them and I wouldnt trade them. I didnt have help from my parents. Me and my B/F have been doing it by ourselves the hole time he works I and a SAHM. Like today I have a 2yo and a 1yr that are sick and a 3mo baby to take care of. I say if you made the choice to have your kids whatever the age grow up and deal with it. You cannot trade them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yes and no. I don't regret when I had my oldest(I was 15). It was wonderful. I do wish I'd waited before I had more children. I got married when he was a year old and I had 2 more in my teenage years. If I could do it all over, I would wait bewteen him and them. I'm such a differant parent now and I wish I had known the things that I know now with them. With my oldest, I just wish I hadn't listened to my mother. I regret giving him formula, cereal bottles, and circ'ing him and a few other things my mom said I should.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Wanted to add before some teen reads my post and decides to go get pregnant. I wouldn't reccomend getting pregnant so young. I think I was pretty lucky and I know a lot of teens aren't. I did enjoy my son but it's not easy. Having a child as a teen really can complicate things.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My mom said she does not regret having us but does wish she was older more mature, married and more financially stable when she had us. Growing up with a teen mom was not easy. She now works with at risk girls to try and prevent them from doing what she did.
    Anonymous