sleeping question

my son is 4 months old, and is starting to have trouble sleeping. he used to sleep 6 hours, wake up to feed, then go back to sleep for 3 hours. now he wakes every 2 hours, and he wont eat so i know hes not hungry. he wont fall back asleep in his crib, i have to hold him, then when i lay him down he screams. im kinda nervous about letting him cry it out, im afraid i wont be able to do it. is 4 months too early to let him cry?? is there another way i can help him sleep on his own??
thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Crying it out is okay after 12 weeks of age. We used cry it out at 3 months. If he isn't hungry could he be teething then? Try some teething tablets, they make a world of a difference for us. Just cuddle and put him back to bed. He will get the hint that it is time to sleep and not play. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Around 4 months is when they first become capable of self-soothing. I would try it. I would also try putting him to bed at the beginning of the night awake, not nursing him to sleep if that's what you're doing. This worked for us -- instead of nursing her into a comatose state and laying her down ever-so-gently, I would nurse her with the lights on, then read her a book, then turn off the lights and sing to her, then put her down happy, drowsy, but awake. This helped her so she wasn't looking for me as much when she woke up. It may take a few days. A lot of times these phases pass, but I wouldn't get into the habit of feeding him every 2 hours or bringing him to bed with you if you don't want to co-sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I wasn't comfortable letting mine cry it out until about 6 mo. I felt like the thinking really wasn't complex enough until about then. It seems to me a 4 mo. old likely has a good reason to be waking up. It could be teething, a growth spurt, acid reflux, a new skill (rolling over perhaps?) or even an illness (is baby showing any signs of being sick?). The best thing you can do is just be consistent and try not to lose your patience. Like most things, this too will pass. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• IMO it is absolutely too early to CIO. You do what you need to do to get your baby calm.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my ped said no CIO till 6 mos they dont grasp the self soothing idea until then. JMO though
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Way to young for CIO!! "Parents should recognize that having their babies cry unnecessarily harms the baby permanently," Commons said. "It changes the nervous system so they're overly sensitive to future trauma." from http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html

"The early stress resulting from separation causes changes in infant brains that makes future adults more susceptible to stress in their lives"

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Even CIO advocates say it's too early before six months.

Your baby is completely normal....don't expect long stretches of sleep in year one. They *can* happen but often don't.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Sounds like your LO could be starting to teeth! Every time my DD is teething, she goes from sleeping 6 hours straight to waking every 2 hours or so at night.

YES 4 months is WAY to young to CIO. I am not an advocate of children CIO at all. It is one thing to let your LO cry in your arms, and quite a different thing to leave a young child to cry by themselves in a crib.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2009