CONTINUED--MY SON HAS ADHD BAD MED'S ARE NOT WORKING

I HAVE A REGULAR COUNSLER FOR MY SON. I'VE TRIED ALOT OF DIFFERENT MED'S. HE HAS HAD A IQ TEST IT WAS (89) I WAS TOLD IT WAS AVERAGE TO LOW. THEY TOLD ME AT HIS SCHOOL THAT HE IS TO SMART FOR IEP CLASSES.I HAVE HAD NUMERIOUS MEETING'S WITH THE SCHOOL WITH THE TEACHER ,PRINCABLE,SCHOOL PSYCHITRIST,(CAN'T SPELL) AND 3 OTHER STAFF MEMBER'S. NO ANSWERS AT ALL. HE IS A LOVING BOY BUT JUST DOES NOT WANT TO DO WHAT HE IS TOLD. YIKE'S I'M LOST !!

LOVINGMYKIDS4

Asked by LOVINGMYKIDS4 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Health

• have you tried changing his diet? I have heard remarkable things about cutting out preservatives and dyes with kids that have ADHD.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Try Institute for Leaning & Development....East Coast or Drake School West Coast. Drake school handles ADHD with no meds this is there specialty. If the Drake or ILD is not close to you call those places to find where they could refer you too. My experience with public schools has been difficult. We found a specialty school for my son & he is turned around. Check out charter schools too. They think outside of the box which I find that many boys with lots of energy thrive in. Regular school's discipline boys for just being a boy. That is so wrong. Boys have energy that needs to be expended. Not forcing them to sit still like girls in the public schools.

Good luck.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 11:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• A physician that I work with went through the same thing with his son when he was 4. He was kicked out of 2 different preschooles due to viloence against the teacher!! Completely out of control kid. I know b/c I babysat him and his siblings. I wanted to shoot myself after an hour. Anyway, they tried and failed with all the medications. And finally they did all Natural organic NO sugar whatsoever and he was like a new kid after just a couple weeks. He has not had to be on any meds since his diet change. I think sometimes docs just give meds to cover up a problem instead of dealing with it the right way and a lot of times with meds things just get worse. Good luck and I hope you can figure something out!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009