Are you more strick with your kids then your parents were?

I had my son when I was 17, and now he is turning 13. and I have a 10yr old son also, I think being a young Parent makes up more aware of what is going on with young teenagers out there! Me and my husband were rebellious at a very young age and did a lot of stuff that we defiantly do not want our kids to do. They have it a little different -they do not have to deal with divorced parents or step parents-No absent Daddy issues-or are not looking to fill that void, so hopefully they have better teen age years, full of sports and education to keep them busy!! And they are going to College!
We have our rules and standards and are very involved with our children and talk to them about all life's obstacles and temptations. I think we are more strict due to our pasts and want so much better for our children!

Goldenbrowny

Asked by Goldenbrowny at 10:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• the big mistake most parents do, like mine did was not to get involved. I had my kids when we both where 24-years old. I believe there is no good age when you should have kids it only depends on how mature you are.
    It is better for any body to wait to get out of school.(just easier for the parent)
    My parents have five kids, 3-girls and 2-boys. The two older ones had a lot of freedoms, they got into drugs,sex,etc.
    Us last 3-kids my parents tighten up. My sister never really went out and still got pregnant in high school.
    I'm a little different I learn by watching everyone make their mistakes and I did not do the same thing they did. I think I was a little strict I know what was out there. But I told my kids if they were honest and respectful they would have more freedoms. So I left it up to them.
    When it come to SEX, DRUGS, DRINKING that has never change, it has always been there. I think the cave men where having this problem
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• lol. i was actually going to ask this question "will your kids pay for your life"... growing up i had a friend whos mom was wild when growing up it seems, so to protect her kid from that life, she was so strict on her it was unbelievable!
    Personally. I dont think I will be more strict but I will "parent" more.. (i did have good parents, but they where laid back). My kids will have chores, responsibilities, I will be active in their school, i will do what i can to get them active in school & community programs that fit their personalities. But I will let my kids have a "life" and give them plenty of freedom & chances to do the right or wrong things on their own.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am a much different parent than my own. They were very young(15) and very self absorbed when they became parents. I was 30 and out of my "me" phase when I had my son. My son is our focus and we have the financial resources to give him a wonderful life. We also have the time to spend with him since my husband is past the years he had to work 100 hour weeks. I am strict with my son and expect him to behave and do the right thing. We pattern that for him by being good people and doing the right thing. We don't do shady things and then expect him to be better. My parents did the best they could but as teen parents they were very limited in life experience, education and financial resources to be the kind of parents my siblings and I are.

Anonymous

• I'm the same.I'm stricter with my two kids than my mom was with me and oany of my brothers and sisters.
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am very strict with my kids. I don't play games with them. I make sure they are up to par with everything it is they need to do.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We are fairly laid back, the rules we do have are absolute and non-negotiable but we pretty much will let him try anything and do anything once. And as long as we know whats up we will trust him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009