my doctor says that nursing while pregnant isn't acceptable.

is it true that if I continue nursing my DS that when (ttc) I get pregnant I have to stop nursing or risk having a smaller baby? DS is 16 months and was almost 9lbs at birth. Should I stop nursing him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• No. Your doc is wrong. ONLY if there's a risk of preterm labor do you need to stop...nursing your toddler takes NOTHING away from the baby to come. NOTHING.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am not a fan of extended breast feeding, but that isn't your question...if you want to keep it up, you are going to have to make sure you get a TON of extra calories so you, your nursing baby, and the baby you're carrying aren't fighting each other for calories...everybody will go without if there aren't enough. Just make sure you're eating enough and getting enough vitamins for everybody. I would consider switching doctors if he isn't going to help you though, I know plenty of women have nursed while pregnant.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Contact the La Leche League to see what they say. You may have to stand up to your doctor if you want to continue breastfeeding.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I nursed my first for several months while pregnant with my second.

Unless you are high risk of miscarriage or something, there is no reason to wean. Read Kellymom.com or LLL webpage on it. You may need a few extra calories, depending on how often your little one is nursing.
    Sebastian

Answer by Sebastian at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am nursing my 18 month old and I'm 4 months pregnant. No problem.

There are very very few legitimate reasons to stop nursing while pregnant. History of miscarriage is one of the reasons.

If you do get pregnant, either get a new Dr, or don't bother to tell them you're nursing.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Your doctor is an idiot. As long as you're getting enough nutrients in your body, it is perfectly fine to continue nursing.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 9:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I breastfed my first until she was 18 months old. I weaned her just 45 days before delivering my second baby. My doctor was all for breastfeeding through the pregnancy. She told me that I could breastfeed all the way through and continue to breastfeed my newborn and toddler both after delivery. I felt my DD was old enough to wean, so I weaned her in the middle of my third trimester. My doctor also told me that if you don't eat well, instead of your body taking from the baby to make the milk it will take from you, like calcium from YOUR bones. So, just eat well, drink plenty of water, and take your vitamins. Oh, and maybe get a new doctor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009