if i take 65 mg of iron and i'm no longer anemic? help? :(

My obgyn had me on iron pills during pregnancy and my family doctor wanted me to keep taking them because i was low in feb, but last week while in the er they told me by my a reg blood test that it was ok or normal. i stopped taking them. since then i talked to my doctor and he told me to keep taking them at least once a day, because my stores could still be low. but what if there not low and im over loading on iron???
i just want to feel normal again im having a very heavy period with big blood clots and i think that it may be making me more anemic will taking an iron pill still be ok if i really am not anymore?

(took a multi vitamin yesterday with 18mg or iron but still feel like crap)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Health

• my family has long ties to anemia. i am always severly anemic when pregnant. i cudnt even have athe C section that i almost needed b/c i wud have bled out b/c i hadnt taken my iron regularly. so i have read and heard a lot about this. plus my kids battle with it too. ok, so if ur blood test said that u arent anemic anymore, u can get away w/taking the vitamin w/iron in it. BUT, if you are still feeling run down,i wud take a reg. dose of iron. i dontknow how much u need to "overdose" on iron-but its quite a bit. adults cant do it easily..but it should get u back on track! maybe take the vitamin and then later on take the iron.(u have to eat before taking them remember! and dont drink milk-it makes it not effective) let me know if u have more quest.s....tell me what u think!
    MamaCass2003

Answer by MamaCass2003 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• anemia runs in my family too. I'm anemic, my mom is severely and my grandmother (mom's mom) was. I think you should be ok taking the iron pill even though the test came back normal. If it makes you feel a little better then take it. I don't take my pills anymore just because i'm lazy about taking pills, i'm always forgetting. I know I should because I always feel sluggish and crappy but I don't.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 3:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009