• In the Spotlight:

My daughter diliberately takes of her pants and diaper/pullup/underwear to pea and poop on the floor.

She will be 3 this August and potty training has been a huge struggle. She will not tell me when she needs to go and will run and hide and take whatever she has on off and do it on the floor. Or she takes her diaper off at night and wets the bed. She wont run to the potty or anything. she is not a dummy child infact she is a very mature and smart little girl. this is driving me crazy however and i dont know what to do. Help...any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• follow her closely. try and catch her before hand and plant her butt on the potty. my son would go on the floor cuz he was too busy with toys or t.v. i would have to turn off the t.v. and take him back.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The problem is that she is smart ;-) My younger son was reading at 3 yrs old but would not potty train until 4yrs 2mos. I'm guessing that you daughter is strong willed like my son as well?
    Perhaps the peeing and pooping on the floor, in bed is her way of rebelling against the potty training. I'd try completely backing off of the potty training for a couple months. See if she will stop trying to get back at you by making a mess.

Watch your reaction when she does make a mess. Do your best to not react AT ALL. I would not say a word, just quietly clean it up. Be patient and see if she stops.

You might calmly, very matter of fact say "You need to poop/pee in your diaper. If you take it off then you need to go in the potty. You choose."

When she is ready, it will not be a struggle. Trust me, I know how hard it is when everyone else kid this age is potty trained and yours isn't. Hang in there, it will happen!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am going through the same problem. My son is 2 and a half and has been potty trained for about 3 months but for the past 2 weeks or so he has done the same as your daughter. I don't understand it myself but I have been keeping a close eye on him and trying to make sure that when he goes to the bathroom he gets ON the potty..
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 11:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It is a total control issue. She is doing it because she knows that you will get upset, and have to stop whatever you are doing to take care of what she has done. My daughter did the same thing! I had to find a way to attend to it(because you can't have poo and pee on the floor)without strong reactivity because it was re-enforcing negative behavior. I would go over to her not saying a word about the mess and place her in time out for three to five minutes. She would scream but I let her. Clean the mess up and no matter how frustrated I was I didn't show her because that's why she was doing it. Attention. She eventually stopped and went on to something else that drove me up the wall!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• You have to catch her before this happens and take her on a timed schedule. This is important so that she will be successful and also get your PRAISE and ATTENTION for using the potty in the right way. Every 30-40 minutes at first, tell her it is time to use the potty. Give her a favorite book or toy that she ONLY gets at potty time. Read to her or talk while she sits, when she goes potty you praise her loudly and proudly and also give her a sticker on a chart posted beside the potty. Tell her that once she gets a certain number of stickers she wiil get a bigger prize(some toy she really wants, ex. Barbie car or doll). If you catch her pulling her diaper off, gently and calmly take her to the potty and tell her, "We pee and poop in the potty" Don't give her alot of attention or say alot about her pulling it off. At night, explain to her that if she keeps her diaper on she gets a sticker also. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009