Do you agree with Michael Steele?

http://www.denverpost.com/statehouse08/ci_11959857

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Seriously, you post these links like every two hours.. WHY? Are you searching the internet looking for things to post??
    Anonymous

• I'm interested in politics, what your excuse for trolling?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I do agree with him. I'm not a Republican, though. I wish he would have stood by his remarks about Rush, he was right to call him hateful, because he is. If the Republicans want to get more people over to their party they are going to have to tone down the reactionary rhetoric and start offering real options. That doesn't really serve my purposes, though, since I am a Dem, so continue down that path, Republicans, and alienate the gigantic number of Americans who are more centrist.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• stacy, I agree. I think he gave them some real talk. I don't think he should have back pedaled on the choice comments or the Rush comments. If they want to remain competetive, they need to be more inclusice....I think that's what he is trying to do. To not alienate more moderate republicans...but do you think it will be successful when everytime he does it, he gets criticized by Rush and others?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I do in regards to this article.. I think the Republican party lost it's way a while ago. Once they return to consistent conservative principles (especially fiscally conservative) then I think the GOP will be on the right track.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• There are alot of centrist who would still vote republican.Not all of them voted dem.Still there are alot who voted thrid party.I do not feel republicans should move more towards the other side.What would the point be in being conservative republican then if they were close or the same as the other side? Some of the problem is they went that way in some aspects already like the bailouts.Spending like the other side.
    I don't see Limbaugh as hateful.I don't always agree with him but some of what he says strikes me as right on target.
    Anonymous

• In a time when Democrats claim they are trying to move more towards the center, do you think it'sa good thing for Republicans to do the same? What would then distinguish between the two? Republicans would do better to mark a clear path, and stand for Republican values and not present as wishy-washy, center of the line when strong values are so badly needed.
    Anonymous

• 9:37 here, didn't see the 9:35 post before writing my piece...didn't plan on posting the same thing.
    Anonymous

• There are alot of centrist who would still vote republican.Not all of them voted dem.Still there are alot who voted thrid party.I do not feel republicans should move more towards the other side.What would the point be in being conservative republican then if they were close or the same as the other side?

I think alot more voted thrid party then democrat. But when I say be more moderate, im really talking social and religious. My aunt and uncle are very republican (LOL) and this last election she voted dem, he voted repub. My aunt is very catholic BUT feels that the conservatives have been taken over by people whose MAIN concern is religious and not POLITICAL concertave (she thinks they should NOT be talking religion as poloticians)

My uncle is not so religious and just wants them back to FINANCIAL CONCERVATISM. PERIOD.

So do you think Mr. Steele is teh right guy for the job?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Sweet, I'm not sure how far he will get. He seems to be pretty smart, and he could really make some changes and pull in a whole new group of supporters. I really think he has to decide if he's willing to break that ground as RNC chairman, or go with the Rush-oriented people and play it safe. I'm not sure RNC chairman is the position from which to try and make this change. They could just kick him out. I am watching this with interest for the 2010 elections. There's a part of me that can't help rooting for him.
    (I watched a rerun of SNL last night and during the Weekend Update section the announcer said re the appointment of Steele "Republicans...you do know that it doesn't work with just ANY black guy, right?" It was funny as hell.)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2009