my son will be one next month when is the right time to start potty training him .im open to any advice on when and how

luvmommy42208

Asked by luvmommy42208 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is no "right age". As with everything else, all kids are different, all families are different.

You can start now if you want. Or you can wait until he shows most of the readiness signs. It really doesn't matter - he will learn when he is ready and will take over his "potty duties" when he is ready - no matter when you start, no matter how long you've been training, no matter how old he is.

So, as an example, let's say your son will be ready to take over at 34 months. You can start now and train for nearly 2 years. Or you can wait until he is ready (say at 31 months) and train for 3 months. It's up to you. One may use less diapers but it will take a lot more work and cause a lot more frustration. The other may use more diapers but will take less work and will cause less frustration. Your choice.

And remember, night time dryness has NOTHING to do with daytime training.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am potty training my second right now. I found out with my first though that it's best to wait until they are ready and showing signs of interest in the potty, or if they start bring you diapers when they are dirty without being asked. things like that are a sure sign they are ready to start. The key is to be patient and never get angry even when they don't get it for months. Every kid gets it when they are ready.

bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Ditto to the above.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have head it to be closer to 2yrs. old (18 months-3 yrs). We did at 2 1/2 and was completey done, including night time, in about a week.
    I started by switching to pull up diapers. He showed "signs" of being ready. Like pulling off diapers when wet/ dirty. Saying the words "peepee or poopoo" helps get them to start using those words approp. too.
    reward system (aka: 1 M&M for sitting on potty chair, 2 M&M's for peepee,etc.)

naked time (spend a few days at home all day with him/her naked, when you see signs of the peepee dance, run to potty chair)
    good luck
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• He is just going to be ONE? lol. My son is two and a half and we are just now starting. He understands the concept of using the potty. But sometimes he gets into playing and forgets. But most of the time things are good. But when he was one, I cannot imagine trying to start potty training.
    Anonymous

• I have always heard to wait until 2 yrs, esp. with boys. My speech therapist had even told me to wait until 27 mos. Ours just turned 2 this month and is beginning to show interest, but when we tried to start putting him on the potty, after a couple of times, he quit wanting to be put on it. I decided not to force the issue. He isn't very verbal yet, so it's not like he is able to tell me that he has to go. I would wait awhile yet. Have a great weekend!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Two is the best age I have found. Ask yourself these questions: Does he wake up dry after naps or in the morning? Does he tell you when he is wet or soiled? Does he mind if he is wet or soiled? I have not heard of to many one year olds who are ready for potty training.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009