Is it PostPartum Depression?

I just had a baby 3 weeks ago and its been 13 years since my first daughter. I was depressed while I was pregnant and lashing out on people for stupid things. Now, that the baby is here, I can't stand my husband everything he says is never right and everything he does is never enough. This is my husband's first child and he treats my 13 year old like she is his (which is awesome) but I feel like he's not stepping up with the new baby - I feel like all the weight is on my shoulders (is it normal for me to feel this way?) I have to get up with her early mornings because he sleeps so hard he cant hear her at night (which scares me), and to make matters worse she has colic - Anyway, I can go on - I just need advice - someone please give me advice.

awinbush

Asked by awinbush at 1:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like you could have some ppd going on mixed with some everyday life issues. I am the queen of ppd!! I have had it every time I had a baby. I notice it's hard to deal with every day life when you are hormonal and depressed. Anytime there is a conflict it is amplfyed ten times!! Nip it in the bud if you feel this way, maybe an anti depressant(which didn't always work, but has)or better diet, eating healthy, going outside more, finding things to do. Don't let it rob you of enjoying your new baby, sometimes I feel like I missed a lot on my first baby because I didn't know what ppd was or if I had it.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• You might have it, but it could just be baby blues also, either way I would talk to your Dr, maybe put a call in tomorrow. I have had it and it is like someone flipped a switch when I finally got on some medicine. Also talk to your husband, he really needs to take some time out to help you a little more. Maybe you go out for a car ride or to a friends an hour or so to clear your head. It doesnt take alot of time, just a little while and then you wont have to worry if he is going to do anythig or wait for you to do it, he will have to. Alot of guys just assume that the mom will get it, not understanding how hard it is on us. Good luck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• your babies cloic probably isnt helping you might want to call a colic clinic or something like that.
    Anonymous

• Moms with colicky babies are FAR more likely to develop PPD. Please go see your doctor on Monday.
    And yes, lots of moms feel like dad doesn't step up to help nearly enough. There's not much to be done about it. Sleep studies have shown that about half of all new dads simply don't hear the baby at night - so you can go yourself or you can wake him. But don't expect him to wake on his own. Be sure to thank him when he does do something and never, ever redo anything he does - unless of course the diaper does actually fall off the baby. But even then, don't say anything about what a bad job he did.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I felt the same exact way. My doctor put me on Zoloft which helped ALOT. I felt so much better. A lot of moms go through this and its because you are overwhelmed and exhausted. Dont be ashamed to ask for help or to take medication. Lots of women have to do it.
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009