White trash baby shower?

So my friend called me up today, and she wasn't very happy. See her "perfect" friend thought it would be fun to make the theme of her baby shower "white trash". Not only was it offensive to her, her friend told her to have a sense of humor about it. See I think she is sensitive to it also because she is 44 and having a baby as a single mom. So Yes, I did find it mean, insensitive, and offensive, but here's the questions: Do you go to the shower anyway? Do you refuse, and tell her why? What do you think, interested in your thoughts.

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd go to be supportive of your friend. She is going to feel bad enough. If her other friend knows this is going to upset her, then she is not a very good friend at all. This should be a happy time for her.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would ask your friend if she would like you there for support, just cause you are there for her doesnt mean that you have to play along with the theme. And if she doesnt mind maybe just get her a few gifts and give them to her seperately and not go to the shower. But I definitely would not go along with the girl who is throwing it, including playing any games, helping out with the shower stuff, etc, and if she asks, tell her why not.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• that is just mean im 23 and if my friends did that id probably smack them .
    i agree that your friend should have suport and this other person is not a good friend .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• You mean do YOU go to the shower or does your friend go to HER shower? If I were her, hell no I wouldn't go. It is not only offensive, but extremely tacky and very tasteless. I'm not saying a baby shower needs to be all fancy or anything but really? white trash? Now, if she is going and you're invited I would go just to support her but not follow the theme. Just go and act as you would at a "regular" baby shower.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• WTH? Who would theme a baby shower "white trash?" That is awful, I would go to support my friend, but I wouldn't participate in the theme. That's just plain tacky!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would be supportive of her. And I don' think age has anything to do with it. I mean look at Angelina and some of the other celebs. Her age is perfectly okay. The theme is probably embarrasing to her and I don't blame her.
    Anonymous

• Jessicarae brings up a good point. Did you mean, should your friend refuse to attend her own baby shower? If thats what you meant, then she should tell the other friend, that if she insists on going forward with this horrible theme, she will not be there. This shower should be about Mommy and the new baby, not what everyone else wants.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I think the friend that is doing the baby shower is trying to be malicious..... cuz, that sounds to me like her own personal agenda is getting in the way and she things your pregnant friends is trash.... Thats basically what she is saying by wanting to do a theme like that... Tell you friend to dump the other friend and you do her baby shower instead!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• What I don't understand is how at 44 and being single, makes her white trash. The way you say she is reacting, to me, is she thinks the "Friend" is calling her white trash and she's not, right? Just a party idea?
    I have gone to many "White Trash" parties, where the sofa is in the lawn, using a metal pan as the 'grill', and crackers and cheese wiz as the pre dinner snack. It is all done in good fun and my friends weren't doing to be mean, just funny.
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 1:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I agree with soonmommyof3. She is basically implying that she thinks her friend is white trash. I say talk to your friend about maybe telling her "friend" that she was offended by the theme and that if she insists on going through with it then she will not go because its offensive. Maybe YOU could throw her a little "regular" themed baby shower.
    Anonymous