How can I get my 18 month old to talk?

He just won't talk!! He makes all kinds of wierd noises, grunts, and screams, he does the mamama dadadad and that's it! He understands what we are saying but he doesn't communicate with words!

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My second child didn't talk until is second birthday. Kids are all different they fo do things on their own time. Don't be to worried about it if he is capable of getting you to understand what he wants he's just fine. the talking will come when he's ready and trust me then you'll be wishing for the days when he was silent. lol
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 1:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Does he like to be read to? My son was kind of the same way until we started reading to him a lot. I would ask his doctor about it also. Does he think its normal or could there be something like Autism or other disorder going on.

Good luck!
    cjs702006

Answer by cjs702006 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My second son does not talk very much and he is 21 months old. His doctor said it is nothing to be worried about yet. He has started saying a lot more words over the past few weeks so he is getting there. Kids are all different so I would not worry if I where you. He will talk when he is ready. All you can do is try to encourage him. Good luck.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 2:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• TALK, TALK, TALK!!! That's all I did. I have three kids and I one baby niece and we dont baby talk after three monthes old we spoke to them like they understood everything we said. We are loving towards them still but a lot of eye contact and speeking to them A LOT! My baby niece is also 18 mon. old and she says about 15 words already. There like sponges and they will catch on so fast the more you talk. All kids are smart so the more you talk to them and treat them like they understand the more they will. Good Luck to u!
    sholie

Answer by sholie at 2:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my son is 16 months and hasn't said a single word either! He rarley says mamamama only when he is like crying and kidna says dadadada. its more like AHduhduhduh, but he understands everything, eyes, nose ears, kitty cat, doggy, he can point to those things, he just points and makes noises. so im getting worried toO!
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 2:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Does your son have many ear infections? Sometimes this causes a child's speech to be delayed. He may not be hearing the speech sounds clearly if there is fluid in his ears often. A way to help him is to read to him and point to pictures in the book and label them for him. Talk to him and lable everything that he sees! If he points to something and makes no sound, have him a least attempt a sound before you give him what he wants. When he points say to him," Oh, you want the ball. Tell mommy ball." Even if he just says "ba" you say, "Good talking, you said Ball" Talk to your pediatrician and see if he thinks you should have a speech evaluation. Do you have a program called Birth to Three? If he qualifies, they would come to your home and give him speech therapy. Look into it!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Talk to your child as if he were a 'big kid'...none of that baby talk stuff. This was a concern with my oldest DD (who is 3) and I brought it up to my doctor. She told me that some kids just don't talk until they're older....my DD still doesn't talk much, and is normal by her doctor's assesment....her doctor just told me 'she'll talk when she's ready'.

I have a cousin who didn't talk until she was 4....apparently, she just didn't have much to say until then.

And sometimes its a matter of your child just not WANTING to talk....there's really nothing you can do about that.

If you're concerned, bring it to your child's doctor's attention, and let him/her give you an assesment. My 20-month old doesn't speak a LOT of words, but she's right on track for where she needs to be. She babbles a lot.

Part of all the grunting and stuff is learning how to form words.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2009