Funeral Ettiquite

I just saw in todays newspaper that an "ex step brother" of mine passed away. His Mom and my Dad were married for about 10 yrs and had a real tumaltuous divorce. I would like to go and pay my respects, but I know it might be tough concidering the divorce and all.
Should I go or stay away and send a card of sympathy?

cjs702006

Asked by cjs702006 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• I would absolutley say go. My Grandma recently died and we had family or ex-family there and it posed no problems. It shows that you cared and he was a part of your life. I am sure that the family can use all the support that they can get. If you have any issues with anyone in particular than maybe you would steer clear in order to keep the peace but it does not sounds like that was the case. I think that it is very thoughtful of you to be sesitive of the families feelings it shows that you are a caring person and would behave the same while there. If you don't want to walk through the receiving line maybe you should just bring a card, they usually have a place for that, that way it does not seem like you are trying to be sneaky or anything. Just let them know that that your prayers and thoughts are with them in this hard time. Oh I am babbling. You should really go.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• unless it states that it is a private funeral then I think it is perfectly acceptable for you to attend.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Go and pay your respects. If they ask you to leave, then do it quietly and with grace.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 2:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Your mothers divorce has nothing to do with you showing your respect to your step-brother. He is still your step-brother regardless of your mothers divorce. If you said you had a contemptuous relationship with your step-father that would be a different thing. If your relationship with him is okay then go for it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would send a card or flowers instead of going. On the card, I would say something like, 'I am sorry for your loss and if you need something or to talk you can call.' During this time I would not want to bring back any more painful memories to the family. IMHO.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I'd go.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would go, he was your step brother and you might need that.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 4:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I'd send flowers and go.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009