My 7 year old son is in first grade,has a wonderful teacher but hates to study his spelling,reading and math when he gets home. It's so frustrating. I've tried being nice, stern, punished ect. None of my other two had any problems with this. He even can't stand his sister or brother helping.....please help I'm at WITS end.......thanks

Noonie68

Asked by Noonie68 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my younger sister (4 years apart) was the same way....my mom was not hard enough on her and I truly think she became this little damaged demon, lol. seriously-just remember you are his MOM. don't let up. even if he gets so upset.....put your foot down, even if it means weeks of certain things being taken away....I'm sorry-please for his sake, be strong...he'll thank you later...trust me
    Anonymous

• Try rewarding him or making a game out of studying. I hated studying as well and it started in elementary school because I was anxious to go outside and play. My mom used to study with me for at least 20-30 minutes right after school before I could go outside and play. If I refused to study I didn't get to go outside that day. She also used to reward us, at the end of the week or whenever we had our tests if we did well on our tests from studying hard all week we got rewarded with something like getting to have a friend sleep over, getting to choose whatever we wanted for dinner, or picking out some sort of treat/reward. Those things worked really well for me and for my brother. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Boys react great with a male figure. Can your hubby or SO or Uncle ot Grandfather help him? They would be a great role model.
    Anonymous

• There are tons of games you can play to help him practice. Maybe if you presented it that way he might like it. If he likes to color, try rainbow spelling. He picks a color and writes a word. Then he picks a new color and traces around each letter. If you can get him to say the letters aloud as he traces them it helps memorize the word. Keep adding new colors until he has a rainbow word.

Another thing to keep in mind is that he could be bored or frustrated.  If he's doing well, it might not be necessary to work so much at home.  You could look into some more advanced skills to work on.  If he's struggling, he might not want to do it because he's frustrated.  Check with his teacher for some remediation skills you can work on.  Kids love the feeling of success.  If the stuff you're working on at home is too hard he will fight tooth and nail to get out of it.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• For spelling try the website www.spellingcity.com You actually put your child's spelling words in, and there are games and practice activities. He may like it this way for say 15 min,. and then paper and pencil activities would not be such a challenge. As for the other stuff, you just have to follow through and make it known to him that homework is not a choice. I know it is hard, but try a visible chart that gives a reward after say 5 days of no problems. A trip to the library, park, or picking a movie might be good rewards. I hope it gets better.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Let him play outside when he gets home to get that pent- up energy out of him. After supper is study time. No TV, not even as a reward on school nights. Unless you want to allow an hour or so after study is finished, but be sure he is truthfull about the studying being finished in case he wants to watch TV more than studying.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Maybe it'd be best to ask him if he wants to be in 1st grade again next year because he doesn't want to do his work and may get too far behind. At 7 he may not realize how important this stuff is, and the thought of being stuck in the same grade next year may just make him get that there are BIG consequences to not doing one's work.
    Anonymous

• I have a 7 y/o too and in first grade,every tuesday he brings homework home{one page} and there is a selution to this problem and that is-------first of all have a talk with the teacher and tell her your child refuses to do the homework at home--ok---then you tell the teacher that you want your child to STAY IN FROM RECESS and do the work.BELIEVE me he will do it at home because their favorite is RECESS and you tell your son when he starts to REFUSE to do it at home then say ok,you will stay in tomorrow at RECESS TIME and do your work,,,things should change and become better, it has for my son,he dont like to miss recess either but that was my last resort, just remember do not give in and the way it sounds his teacher will go by your wishes,or should,my sons teacher does for me.HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, good luck,let us know how it goes..
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2009