is 3 months old 2 early for cereal?

My 3 month old will be 4 months in 2 wks. She drinks 6-8oz. Every 5 hours lately she has been drinking 4-6oz every 2 hrs! She started sleeping thru the night at about 2 months n now she wakes up at 3am after eating 8-12oz before bed! I think that the formula isn't satisfying enough 4 her! She can hold her head up very well since 6wks and now can sit by herself 4 a few seconds n will probably be able 2 do it well in a wk or 2.. I'm not trying 2 brag I'm just giving u a sense of how strong she is.. I no if I start with the cereal 2 early she can develop a food allergy.. I'm wondering if anyone else has started the rice cereal early n their experiences with it.. Also when do u start that gerber foods and mashed up fruits n veggies?? Thank u 4 ur time!

Lizzay88

Asked by Lizzay88 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem. My daughter isnt even 3 months old and I have been giving her cereal for about a month now. She is holding it down pretty well and shows no signs of it hurting her. Nor any allergies from it. She is also to the point where she is strong enough to hold her head(since about 6 weeks) and it starting to roll from belly to side.
    I would just give her about a tablesppon full in her bottle to start out and see if that helps any.
    Kayliesmommy09

Answer by Kayliesmommy09 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would talk to your pediatrician and follow his lead. He'll know best!
    Anonymous

• Both my children had cereal around 3 months. And it was because they all of a sudden started waking up in the middle of the night hungry.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Our son is almost 6 months old, and we just started him on the stage 1 foods (the mashed ones, like you were talking about). Most pediatricians recommend starting them on stage 1 foods between 3 and 5 months though. So, your daughter is probably ready but I would recommend slowly easing her into it that way you can check for allergies, and whatnot. Same thing with the rice cereal. You can begin it now, I think. But, just ease into it. She may not like the taste right away so you could mix it with breastmilk or formula (whatever she's used to) first.
    NFLplayerswife

Answer by NFLplayerswife at 2:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• yes. too young
    Anonymous

• I would wait till your 4 month appt. 3 months is a normal age for a major growth spurt... just give more formula and you should see the incessant hunger subside after a week or 2.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my son had it when he was around 3 months i was told to just mix a little in with the formula to make it sit harder on his stomach then about 4 months he was just eating it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We started at 3 1/2 months. I would just do the rule of 4. Wait for days and then move onto another food. Just make sure that it is runny enough for her to be able to swallow. If you think that she is ready for food then start it. Your pediatrician doesn't know your baby as well as you do. They just give the recommended guidelines.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The recommended guidelines are there to protect the babies. Going to solids, even just cereal has been shown to increase the incidences of food allergies. Why set your child up for that? Why are people so anxious to have their children do things before the guidelines say they should?
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 4:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Rule of 4? I'm not familiar with that? Can u explain!
    Lizzay88

Answer by Lizzay88 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2009