question for creative souls who love to garden (no bashing)

I am in the process of moving and the backyard is huge! Someday I'd like to make a garden, and I also have another project in my head: to make something in a pentagram pattern. Either rocks and a flowerbed in the middle, or plant flower seeds in a dug out pentagram formation. Does this sound good? Do you have anything similar (pattern-wise, symbol-wise)? or have any gardening tips?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• subscribe to Better Homes and Gardens. i get that magazine, and they always have "blueprints" for some of the patterns that they feature, so you could take ideas from that. or go to their website, bhg.com, and i think they have a section where you can design your own garden. good luck!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I kill plants so I'm no help but flowers in a pattern sounds really cool! Do the pentacle on year and get really brave and do the tree of life the next! Take pictures!!! Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It shouldn't matter what shape your garden is in. Just be sure to edge it with something that goes down deep enough to prevent grass roots from invading your garden.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It is actually very common to make a shaped bed and plant it with herbs. Frequently, they are shaped like wagon wheels but any shape can be made.

http://www.amazon.com/Medicine-Wheel-Garden-Celebration-Tranquillity/dp/0553380893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237780235&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Remedy-Gardens-Health-Well-Being/dp/1580170951/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237780235&sr=8-3
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• there are alot of things you can do to get a garden spot ready, some are easier than others...my granny always lays thick black plastic on the spot she wants a new bed for a couple of weeks before she starts the gardening, it kills all the grass, then she just has to remove the dead plants, I just dig up the layer of grass bc I'm too impatient...LOL. You have to think of how you want to line it, do you want to be able to mow right up to it or have to weed eat around it? Sinking any border like bricks is easier to mow up to. Here's a good group here on the cafe, it has lots of good posts and you can ask anything, eveyone is always helpful... have fun! http://www.cafemom.com/group/lovemygarden
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 10:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2009