15 month old not saying much.

My son is 15 months old (turns 16 months on the 13th) and he doesn't really talk yet. He says Dada, Mama, Indi, Ivie, Lily (my moms dogs) tries to say Dog and kind of says Kitty. Every once in awhile he'll say Yeah in response to our questions but that's not very often. He also says Vroom Vroom when playing with his trucks. I try to read to him like his doctor suggested at his 12 month checkup but he just screams over me. He's very smart though, he understands when we tell him to go get something for us like when we tell him to go get his sippy he goes straight in the other room and gets it and he knows what to do when we tell him to take his shirt or pants off. He holds his feet out to put shoes and socks on and knows how to brush his teeth. He's just not taking much. I was just wanting to know what all other 15 month olds are saying.

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 3:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My step son didn't speak a word until he was 3. My daughter pretty much followed the guidelines to a T. My son, you can't shut that boy up to save your soul! Also be aware that your child may be saying something and you're not catching it. My son loves ice and calls it 'ah', but when you open the freezer he'll be there saying it. When my sister was a baby she said cookie as key.

Also, when you do day to day tasks tell your child what you're doing. When you change his diaper, grab the diaper and say diaper. Have him get you his sippy. My son typically has 2 sippies during the day, a water one and milk. I've been telling him now to get his blue sippy, or his purple one, or orange one and he's getting good and noticing colors. Kids at this age are sponges! If you have any concerns bring it up to your pediatrician, if s/he has any further concerns they should make a recommendation for evaluation if they feel the need
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 10:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• That sounds about right for his age.
    By 10 months, most babies will use Mama and Dada for the proper parent.
    By 14 months, most have 2 other words that they use correctly.
    By 18 months, most will have 10 to 20 words and that's what his doctor will look for.
    By 24 months, most will be stringing 2 words together "mo ooee" (more cookies) for example.
    By 30 months, most will be using 4 to 5 word sentences and you should be able to understand 50% of what he says.
    By 36 months, most will be able to hold conversations and you should understand 90% of what is said.

For the reading, my daughter hated to be read too also. She would throw the book, walk away, etc. Except at bedtime and naptime - sitting in my lap in the rocking chair, she would snuggle down and listen. You might try that. It's also important to let him see YOU reading for fun. So pick up a novel or newspaper now and then.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yours is doing more than mine is . Mine turned 16mths on the 14th and he could seem to careless to say anything. I am wondering if its cuz there are three other siblings in the house that he doesn't say much. He does say mama all day long.
    luchousdiva

Answer by luchousdiva at 7:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2009