15 months old

My son is 15 months old (turns 16 months on the 13th) and he doesn't really talk yet. He says Dada, Mama, Indi, Ivie, Lily (my moms dogs) tries to say Dog and kind of says Kitty. Every once in awhile he'll say Yeah in response to our questions but that's not very often. He also says Vroom Vroom when playing with his trucks. I try to read to him like his doctor suggested at his 12 month checkup but he just screams over me. He's very smart though, he understands when we tell him to go get something for us like when we tell him to go get his sippy he goes straight in the other room and gets it and he knows what to do when we tell him to take his shirt or pants off. He holds his feet out to put shoes and socks on and knows how to brush his teeth. He's just not taking much. I was just wanting to know what all other 15 month olds are saying.

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 3:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I understand your concern. My son was a lte talker. He understood everything we said but just didn't say much. To help your son just always talk to him and tell him what you're doing-if you're cooking say "I'm cooking eggs, on the stove, in a pan" and when you hand him stuff tell him what you're doing just don't go by gestures without saying things
    it took my son awhile to talk but he's doing great now
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• at 15 months you don't need to worry at all... my son turned 2 on tuesday and doesnt talk much... they say boys can take a while.... my son is also very smart and understands everything but doesn't talk back much...only when he wants....i'd say don't worry but if it bothers you think about seeing a speech therapist.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my son was talking pretty good by then but i know some babies that still babble by then .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My DD loooooves to babble. She mostly babbles but she also says mama, doggy, kitty, papa (grandpa), hot, hi, night night, num-nums (nurse), bye bye, thank you, uh-oh, and she just started saying milk. She said about 8 words at 15 months, and now she says 12 a month later.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I forgot he says hot too. If I give him his breakfast in the morning and say "don't touch it yet it's hot" he'll do a thing with his hand like he's smashing something in him palm and go "hot". Sometimes he'll say Yummy because anytime we try to get him to eat his food we'll take a bite and say yum or yummy and then he'll eat it and say it back. He tries to say Hi when he's waving at people but it's still coming out a little off. The other day was the first time he told me Uh-Uh for no while shaking his head no and hasn't said it since.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My 15 mo probably talks less than yours. I really don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you're sure he understands you when you talk. My middle child was well over 2 yo before she really started talking, but I always knew that she understood me and she just never felt the need to talk. Some kids just aren't as verbal.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2009