How much do you spend on groceries per month?

I have a family of 4 and want to compare how much you spend on groceries in a month? I have a husband, an 8 year old daughter and a 15 year old son. How much do you usually spend? How do you save money on groceries? I try so hard, but it seems I spend waaaaay too much! Ideas?

Evanmak0094

Asked by Evanmak0094 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have a family of 2 adults, a 5 yr. old, a 2 1/2 yr. old and twin 3 mo. olds. We spend about $375 plus WIC(milk, eggs, pb, juice, tuna, cereal)
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• its me my dh and my two year old dd and we spend about 150.00 every two weeks. So....we spend WAY too much but, I think my biggest problem is that I am 23 and my mom ALWAYS cooked and never taught me so I am learning to cook and i tend to do things the easy way! I think if i learned how to cook better I would shop better!

big smile mini

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have myself and my husband, a 9yo boy, 8yo boy, and 2yo girl. 4 months ago we would spend 550 to 600 a month on food and that was buying mainly things like hamburger helper and such when they were on sale 10 for $10. Most of what we bought at this time was 10 for $10. 3 months ago I took a challenge that my friend gave me and cooked totally from scratch for the entire month. I was very surprised when I added it all up and had only spent 400 dollars that month on food. I was even more surprised that it took me about the same amount of time to cook dinner as before and that I actually enjoyed cooking now and we all enjoyed eating again because it was not always the same ol thing. I now only cook from scratch and am loving it. I spend right around 400 each month and love having the extra money.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We are a family of three and spend about $400 a month on groceries. My husband is a triathlete though so he eats and drinks more than the usual adult, so we go through a bit more.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have a family of 7; I spend between $175 to $250 a month on food. I plan meals before I shop, I cook from scratch most of the time, I shop at a salvage grocery, a dollar store, and at the grocery stores for loss leaders only. I take advantage of great deals to stock up a bit here and there to get us through the months that are tighter.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• 100$ to 150$, family of 3.
    Anonymous

• I have a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old and a husband plus myself so that's 4. I spend about $150 to $200 on food a month. have you ever tried or hear of angelfoodministries.com ??? Check it out I just ordered for the 1st time and can't wait to get my food on Saturday!!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 6:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It's just me and my 9 month old daughter. I would say I spend $180 on groceries per month.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 6:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Wow, I am not feeling too thrifty right now. We are a family of 7. I have a 12 yo, a 10 yo, a 8 yo, a 2 yo, and an 8 month old. My 10 yo son eats more than me, and between him and my 2 yo they drink about a gallon of milk every 2 days. We spend about $650 a month on groceries. I make almost everything from scratch. I do buy snacks for their lunches though, and I have to pack the three older kids, and my husband a lunch everyday. Also, I buy organic as often as possible. Milk, chicken and eggs without hormones are a little more expensive. Organic fruits and vegetables are also.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• we have a family of 3-my husband, a 16 month old and myself. we spend around 250 a month on groceries. the only reason that is so high is because we have to buy food that costs a little more. our son is allergic to eggs and peanuts and the test showed a pretty bad reaction. he is also lactose intolerant so anything with milk is pretty much out of the question.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2009