Do the server's at Golden Corral make minimum wage?

I ask because I never ever carry cash with me and we went there last weekend and they take your card before you sit down and there is no place to sign for a tip! I didnt realize until we had sat down that I had no way of tipping the server. I feel so bad because she was very nice and got us refills and cleared our plates and everything, I am not the type to not tip but I was really in a bind! Why wouldnt they have a way to leave a tip on the card slip the only thing I can think of is maybe they dont expect tips over there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• im not sure but i would think they do seeing as it is a buffet and you get your own food ,
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• they do work off tips. you could always take money by now if you live close. the way tips work there is either you have cash already or you tell them at the register you want to leave the tip on your card. they'll ask how much and give you the cash. that way you can still decide when all is said and done how much you want to leave them.
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 4:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• all waitresses that I have every known, only make 2.13 an hour due to their option for tips. However if want too, they can claim all of their tips on their taxes and any difference each pay period between their tips plus hourly wage and what they would get with min wage is added to their check.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 4:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Server's get paid 2.83 an hour. Because it's buffet style, they might make more. Or gratuity could have already been added.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would say that either gratuity is already added, or they make a higher wage. If there is no avenue for leaving a tip, it probably isn't expected. You can always call the restaurant and ask to be certain.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• They have to make minimum wage between regular wages and tips combined. Because it is a buffet, I think they make atleast minimum wage. I usually don't carry cash either, but I have been making sure I have atleast $5, just in case.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Buffet servers ARE paid differently than regular servers. Most places don't even call the "waitstaff' servers any more. They are considered Salespeople.
    They have sales goals to meet- % of apps, entrees, extras, drinks, non alc drinks, etc, and are paid based on a "commision" (tips), and the lowest possible is 2.83 per hour. Many servers are also allotted a number of tables in their section based on these sales numbers, including tip! (which is why if you still think 15% is a good tip, you should carry cash! Your server will be penalized!)
    Buffet servers still have a reasonable expectation of a ten percent tip-they have much less to do. If the restaurant is not giving you a spot for that, it's possible it is included in the price of the meal. Some places do that. I would call the restaurant to see. If you they didn't, you could drop a couple of bucks off, or simply give the girl a compliment to her manager and know better.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Golden Corral servers are paid 2.13 an hour. I work there.
    Crued

Answer by Crued at 10:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010