No-no's while preggers?

ok this is baby #3 for me, but still stumped on the good or bad things to eat.

I know the big ones, but there are a few that I ran across lately that I am confused on. Any help would be really appreciated.

Pineapple? Grapes? I love fresh fruit and pineapple is one of my favs. I bought some grapes for my boys and have been eating them, too. Now those fav foods are gonna hurt my jellybean?

Help!!

tabbykat6802

Asked by tabbykat6802 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Who in the world told you you can't eat pineapples or grapes?

Cold deli meats/hot dogs (heat them until steaming), un-pasturized and soft cheeses, undercooked meats, raw sushi (like sashmi)....THOSE are things you shouldn't eat.

But if you've already consumed them, don't spend the rest of your pregnancy panicking about them. Chalk it up to a mistake and don't do it again.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• All fruits are a go. Just steer clear of the big no no's, sushi, lunch meat, etc.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Soft cheeses are fine, as long as they are pasteurized. Many imported soft cheeses are not pasteurized so their is the risk of food born illness.

Deli Meat has a very very small risk of listeria, that risk increases while you are pregnant.. so they say to steam the meat before eating. (I personally still enjoy a turkey sandwich on occasion. Listeria effects less than 1500 people a year in the US... )

Raw fish/meat for the same reason. You can eat sushi, provided the fish is cooked or it's a veggie roll.

There are a lists of fish you should avoid as well, thanks to mercury content. Certain fish have higher mercury content then others and mercury leads to birth defects, developmental issues, etc. So it's best to avoid that. Especially if you ate the fish all the time pre pregnancy because mercury is bio accumulative.

Fruits are perfectly fine though! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Who says pregnant people cant eat pineapples and grapes? You are bumming me out man!
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Raw or rare meats and seafood, lunch meats, refrigerated smoked seafood, raw eggs, fish high in mercury, soft cheeses that are not pasteurized, pates or meat spreads, liver, unpasteurized milk or juices. Great info on these 2 sites:

http://www.healthcastle.com/pregnancy-foods-to-avoid.shtml

http://www.healthcastle.com/pregnancy-fish.shtml
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• wow thats crazy my doc tells me to eat as much fruit and veggies as i want who in the world would say not to eat pinnables or grapes that dnt make any since
    2009mommytobe

Answer by 2009mommytobe at 4:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• "peaches"is right on the ball!! You eat all the fruit you want. there are alot of nutrients that your "jellybean"lol, needs. Dont forget your veggies and milk!!
    ajijrose

Answer by ajijrose at 4:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Fruits are fine. They tell you intake little because during pregnancy the can cause uncomfortable heartburn. The biggest things they want you to stay away from is unhealthy sugary, spicy, and greasy foods. However if it's all you can hold down they prefer you to eat it than eat nothing. Be careful on the intake of tuna though, Studies have shown it cantains low intake of mercury which can be harmful if you eat to much of it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• PINEAPPLES INDUCE LABOR!!
    =] thats what i heard =]
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 5:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• No pineapple doesn't where in the world did you here that. That is the wierdest thing I've ever heard I ate pinapple all the way through my first pregnancy I carried to term. Now it may be on the list of thing after diolation has started that will speed up the process but that's all.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2009