Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Okay girl I need to know what would you do if you were put in this position..
You have a 20 yr old and an 24 yr old living in your household that are able to take care of themselves if they chose to but they get pity from family member who think that they know what goes on in my house. I would love no more than to kick these two out of my house but my husband says no we can't kick out the 24 yr old since he is my husband's brother who is mentally handicap and the 20 yr old is his pregnant girlfriend so I'm ready to just take my kids and leave.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • Are they a danger to your children? Do they put a burden on the family budget? If not, then it is ridiculous to take your children and leave. Instead tell your husband that you understand his desire to help your BIL, but that your focus as a family should be to take care of your children, not two adults. If your BIL is adept enough to get a girl pregnant, then he is adept enough to get on SSI or disability and get a place of his own, especially after the baby is born. Tell him that you would like your BIL and his girlfriend out by a certain date, say 3 months from now, which will give them time to save money and get a place of their own.

    Answer by jacobsmom707 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • you have to live your life the way you see fit. if having certain people living with you is impacting upon you and your mood and then how you interact with your family then yes you should not continue in an unhappy environment anymore.

    Answer by angelmomma2 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • I know how it is having people live with me!! I had a woman move in her FIVE kids because my ex husband (husband at the time) felt bad for them. I did too though.. but the mom was always out doing drugs so when enough was enough.. we called CPS and the kids are living in a nice home now.. listen here.. ITS YOUR HOUSE! Don't leave YOUR house.. Tell your husband to get over it.. He married YOU and had kids with YOU not his brother.. If his brother can get a girl pregnant then his brother can deal with his own problems.. its not your problem! And anybody that says youre being selfish probably hasn't had someone come and take over their house before!

    Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 5:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • Tellyour husband that you feel its affecting your life personally and that they need help finding some other resources. if they dont pay rent its not right..

    Answer by MickeysMom19 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • there are assist living an shelters where these two individuals can go stay and programs that can help them get a place of their own sometimes even less than 30 days they also can help out the pregnant gf on things that she may need or what they will need when the baby does arrive if you continue to tell them stay in your house then eventually they are going to want you and your husband to financially support that baby too because neither one of these two individuals are going to be able to support this child and welfare only does so much until they start telling you no and to tell you to figure it out on your own disabled or not disabled they do this they don't care. But I wouldn't leave your house unless you or your children are in danger that is your house not their's.

    Answer by momof5monsters at 9:42 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.