• In the Spotlight:

How do people feel about drinking coffee while pregnant?

Kriste99n

Asked by Kriste99n at 4:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I feel one cup a day is okay. But, like with anything, every doctor will give you a different idea.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My choice was to not take caffeine at all during my first trimester. I added in iced tea when we'd eat out after that.

I don't care what other people do unless they ask my opinion. If you're asking what my recommendation would be, it would be to avoid it entirely during your first trimester and to go easy after that.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I drank 3-4 cups of coffee a day (down from nonstop coffee drinking) when I was preg. My ped said it was fine. The only thing I would caution against is energy drinks. Also, if you drink too much coffee when you breastfeed your baby may get too much caffeine and be irritable, or unable to sleep. Now both of my girls (3 and 14m) love coffee and always are trying to drink mine. My sis says its because it reminds them of being in the womb, lol.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• With my first 2 pregnancies I gave up caffeine all together..all coffee drinks etc..but I did eat some sweets. Now that I am pregnant with my 3rd I have an addiction to hot chocolate, I drank about a cup a day throughout most of my pregnancy and the DR says everything is fine.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Coffee is fine in moderation while you're pregnant.

I'm not a big coffee drinker, so....
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Tea has caffeine as well, and my doctor told me to drink tea, but it didn't taste good to me, but i just drank decaf flavored coffee the whole pregnancy. My doctor said even though decaf still has some caffeine in it, it's not as much as regular iced tea. I would probably try to switch to decaf or cut back a little from normal but i wouldn't think you would need to cut it out all together.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i have a cup once in awhile
    honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• anything that makes you feel better is good for the baby! an dif coffee doesnt make you shake or get weak then do whats natural! but thats my opinion just dont exceed normal routine
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My doctor told me it was fine to have caffinee through both my pregnancies. I have migraines and my doc to me to drink dr pepper through out the day and if that didn't work to call her.
    Anonymous

• My first two pregnancies I cut out caffeine altogether. With this one I allow myself two cups of black coffee a week. However I crave ice cold sweet tea. I just limit myself on the tea. That is me.
    truckincowgirl

Answer by truckincowgirl at 6:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2009