My 18mnth old throws fits!

She'll throw a fit for something (like a bite of my food) but as soon as i go to give it to her to runs away and won't take it..I don't believe in punishing a baby though.. I tell her no, ALOT, lol.. but she's caught on that she doesn't have to listen.. I put her in "time out" kinda.. like..set her in her crib for a little while.. but she just screams even louder. And I don't want her to get so upset.. she's still a baby, you know.. but her fits are getting louder and louder.. and much more frequent.. Any ideas?

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 4:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try not to say no to every little thing, just say it firmly when something is dangerous or really bad. It will mean more -- they learn to tune out "no" pretty quickly because they hear it 1000 times a day. (You're not the only one!) Instead, make a positive statement about what you want her to do. Instead of "no, don't stand on your chair" try something like "we sit on chairs, don't we.. sit on your chair please." THe little fits and tantrums are normal at 18 months... they're learning to be independent people. But they definitely need your guidance. The difference between the resistance at this age and the full-on rebellion of the terrible twos is that they really do want to please you, not make you mad. Use this to your advantage. And at 18 months distractions can still work sometimes. Suggest things they like to do, rather than focusing on the negative behavior.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2009