• In the Spotlight:

should i quit my job?

i am making 10.50 an hour, doing work that I hate. i have 2 kids that are in school, i pay for daycare because i have to be at work at 7 as they dont have to be in school until 8. i am missing out on taking them and picking them up, i also work sat. being a single mom, i am nervous about quitting my job but i was thinking about opening up a daycare. that way i am able to be here for my kids more. any comments?

momof2andsingle

Asked by momof2andsingle at 4:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• A day care sounds nice, but you should get your license for it first.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 4:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Day Care involves a good number of legal matters, including license, insurance, record keeping, paying your own social security (about 15%),. quarterly estimated tax. Probably you should have at least one other adult there, whom you'd have to pay (plus her social security, and her withheld taxes) because there will be times that otherwise the children would not be supervised (such as when taking one child to the potty or changing him. ) If you are up for paperwork and record keeping and filling out forms, then it might work. Don't forget also about parents accusing you of this or that.

Answer by Bmat at 5:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• First off.........call your license office and find out what the requirements are in your state. This will include license for you, the requirements for your house, inside (room sizes, bathrooms, food requirements etc) and outside (fenced yard etc). Once you get the legistics, sit down and figure out how many kids you would need to have, the price you'd need to charge etc in order to live. Remember that you have to have a running petty cash for incidentals, supplies, food etc. and dont forget insurance......you need LOTS of insurance. You can make money doing this.......but you need to plan and get your ducks in a row before you begin.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't quit your job until you had something FOR SURE lined up. With things the way they are now, you can't count on being able to find another job right away and with little kids you can't afford to not be working. I would starting looking into opening a daycare if this is what you really want to do, or start looking for another job, and once you've landed on either then I would say go head and quit.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am a single mom and there is NO WAY that I'd quit my job without having something else lined up. With the economy the way it is it is just not a risk that I would gamble. If you want to start your own daycare you need to first check with your landlord if you have one to see if you can even have a daycare, get your CPR and HIV/AIDS certificates, take your STARS traning, and whatever else your state requires. You also need to find enough kids to be able to make enough money to get by. Good luck!!! I strongly suggest that you keep your current job until you have a firm business plan.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Do not quit your job till you find a new one. This economy suck stinking balls.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I agree with the other answers. You don't want to quit before having something else lined up. So I have an Opportunity to share with you, whether you decide to quit your job and open a daycare, this is something you can do along with your current job! Who knows you just may have so much fun doing this that you will want to quit your current job or you will be making more money than you current are now, which I know you will be. check out my website and see why this is something too definately consider! www.signaturehomestyles.biz.pfunk let me know if you have any questions!!
    thanks and good luck with whatever you choose to do!!
    WicklessMom247

Answer by WicklessMom247 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• your a single mom..ya quit the means of income for your children and get on welfare. thats really smart. think about what you are saying..you have a job that pays you good money and more people are losing their jobs every day. it doesnt kill the kids to be in daycare for an hour. many people do it every day..its called you have a job!
    Anonymous

• well before just up and quiting your job, there are a few things you need to look into when you decide to start a day care.
    There is a lot involved.
    1: Check with your local state laws about day cares. Most require you take a course for caring for 2 or more children other than your own. Pending on the laws, the certificate that you need can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a year. So if you quit right now, you may be loosing out of valuable money that you need.
    2: Be fully prepared before quiting your job. Make sure you have everything up and ready to go. This means getting what you need legally, and having your home in tip top shape. Some states won't allow you to run a day care if your home isn't evaluated first. Be sure to have everything stocked and ready to go as well. Most day cares provide the food for the children while they are their. So you have to have a little of everything to be prepared.. cont.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• be sure your home is child friendly. Try to have a room dedicated to the children, to make it easier for them and yourself. You also have to have enough space to provide a quiet place for nap times. Enough places for the kids to eat/sit. Enough activities for all ages. And you should have clients ready to start before starting your day care... if you quite and don't get any clients, it defeats the purpose of this whole idea.

So bottom line, be prepared and smart about this idea, BEFORE quitting your job. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a big fall.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2009