am i wrong for not wanting my son to play video games ?

michele101183

Asked by michele101183 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• no i hate them myself and they can make a child very angry and get addicted easily
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 5:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Nope. The video games out now are so bad its unbelievable. Also, if the reason you don't want him to play is because you would rather him be doing other constructive things like playing outside...I completely agree! I have a little boy due in August and we will not even have video games in my house! If he wants to play something he can go play Cops and Robbers outside like we did when I was little...not shooting ppl on a video game with blood everywhere. No thank you!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• No, you are right to not let him play. We bought our 10 year old a psp for his birthday. After 2 months of playing it, about an hour a day, I really could see a difference in his attitude. He seemed to always be frustrated by us. Needless to say, he doesn't play it anymore. Anyway, what my kids have been playing is Karaoke (American Idol) on the PlayStation. It is at least better, because they are learning alot of different songs. But that was still making me crazy, so they had to turn it off for today. So now they are at our neighbors learning how to make candy! Way better.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I say it okay in moderation and you monitering what he plays. They can give him something to do and even help keep his mind sharp.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• No, my little brother plays video games and he has night terrors because of it. I can't stand them. I think they can really mess with your head mentally.

When my son grows up, he won't be playing them.
    JulianaRose

Answer by JulianaRose at 10:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I was pretty upset when my son's aunt bought my four year old a Wii for his birthday!
    I don't want him playing it but I understand she was trying to do something nice
    so I only allow 20 minutes a day with games that are not frustrating and educational
    or at least make him excercise! He likes bowling wii which is fine because he is on bowling
    league weekly and it is fun for him. I don't allow any games that have violence whatsoever in them. We were very annoyed by the BOLT game. I preview them first before I allow him to play them. So no you're not wrong it is your child but If you are smart about it and monitor what games he plays and how long it won't cause a huge problem :)
    Anonymous

• I hate video games as well. We have a V-Smile for our kids but since it's educational and they don't play it every day (really only about once a month) I don't mind. I would however like to have a Wii, the whole house could enjoy it and on rainy days the kids could still get a little energy burned off.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• depends on how old your kid is and if you can find something age appropriate.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• No: if it seems obsessive or addictive. If video games take up most of his time,
    or time he once had for friends, sports etc, you are right.
    bookkeeper11107

Answer by bookkeeper11107 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Nope. It's fine in moderation. I wish I would have NOT allowed my son to play as much as he does. As a matter of fact, I am trying to get him off the computer right now and ready for bed. During the summer I make him play outside and do things with his friends and not so much on the computer or game systems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009