Can I get a tattoo if I'm pregnant?

I'm only like 6 weeks along. I've been planning on getting my DD's name for months and months now, and I don't really want to have to cancel. I was so excited to do it!

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• LOL. There are apparently a lot of misconceptions about what tattooing is and does! this was a good read!

Anon is right. Ink doesn't touch the baby, the baby wont get a brown or black spot and you wont miscarry!

BUT many pregnant women who do get tattooed find that the ink doesn't set like it should. It bleeds or fades easily. The tattoo also occasionally doesn't heal like it should either, so it looks distorted..

There is also a risk of infection, but with a good artist/clean shop that risk is minimal. If you go to a place that isn't clean, an infection could be fatal to you and/or the fetus, depending on the infection.

Answer by celticreverie at 6:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• A reputable shop won't tattoo you. The stress of getting a tattoo can make you miscarry, and then there's that chance of hepatitis that comes with getting a tattoo.

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• lol there is NO tattoo parlor that will give you a tattoo..i wanted to get my 20th tattoo done but i still cant! lol..if you get a tattoo while pregnant i hear the baby will get a little brown or black spot on their body from the ink going into your body....

its not really safe =P

Answer by MissKellee at 6:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Most places won't tattoo you if your pregnant, there is too big of a risk for infection, and they don't want to have to deal with a lawsuit.

Answer by gettingfat89 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• you are not suppposed to and i agree witht he first poster

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• DAMN! lol. no tattoo then i guess. i was hoping that because it was still early i could.

• I mean, if you have a buddy that does em in his garage you technically can, but it's really not recommended.

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I did get a tattoo when I was 8 weeks (it was right before I found out I was pregnant) but I was lucky and it had no effect on my little girl.

Answer by Punkylu78 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i used to work in a tattoo shop and usually they dont tattoo pregnant women because the hormones wont let the ink stay in the skin. the ink doesnt get to the baby, at all, the only thing youd have to worry about is an infection that can get to your baby, but the ink wont harm the baby. call the tattoo shop and ask them. theyll be more than happy to inform you about everything you want to know. . . but it wont harm the baby unless you get an infection, and if you go to a good tattoo shop with a clean record then the lowers the risk alot. do some research and make sure that the tattoo shop is clean the people working there are clean and the needles are kept in an oclave, or however thats spelled, and when they get the ink ready they should do it right infront of you, wearing gloves, everything hey use on you should be new and opened infront of you if it isnt dont get the tattoo done there, whether youre preg. or not.