plans change- not sure what is best

I am due in July to have my 3rd baby. My other two are 4 and 6 and will be in school next year. I had planned to take a year off work and not search for a teaching job yet(I will get my degree and license this May)
Well I just found out that a job is open in my dream school. It is the job I had in mind when I decided to become a teacher.
I feel like if I do start teaching in August I will miss out on being home with my baby, but If I don't I may never get this chance again.
I AM submitting my resume, as chances are slim I will get the interview even- but what if I do?

what would you do?

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 6:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• well, she is part of your immediate plans now.

sounds like teaching is a good 'middle ground' . except those early years before they are in school while you are teaching. But there are only a few yrs of that.

Like others said- No Harm in submitting an application and seeing what comes of it!
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would definitely put in an application. And take the job if it comes up. I'm one for taking the chance if it's offered to me. But then again, I really don't like being home with babies/kids either...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It's a tough choice. *I* wouldn't do it. I believe that the first year or 2 of a child's life are very important and I wouldn't miss being at home with my child, not even for my dream job. BUT if you feel you would regret NOT taking it, then do it. :)

Everyone will have a different answer.

No reason to not submit a resume though :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I too believe things happen for a reason. I had an unfortunate turn of events quite recently, followed by an extremely awesome job offer. So we'll see what happens, I have to pass a background check (related to those unfortunate events).

I hope the best for you :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Good luck ray ray- and by the way- I have never been SAHM material either- I want to do it for my children but I do like having a job to give me a break...lol
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• In this economy, I would get the job if possible. ON the other hand, baby is only little once but you will be off on the w/e. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i would.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• On your deathbed (or that of your child) will you more likely say "Iwished I had taken that job when my 3rd child was born"

Or will you say "I wish I had spent more time with my children."
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• See, my job choice was geared for my children, I should be on a schedule which allows be to be home when they get home from school- we will have holidays and summers off together (a secondary reason for choosing teaching as a career)

but this baby wasn't part of our immediate plan (she was part of our future plan, but she's coming about a year early... or two months late... however you look at it if she were coming in may I'd have three full months with her.)
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• That's a tough one if you are due in July and have to go to work in August. I am a working mother, but I got to take 3-4 months with each. Teaching is a great profession for a working mother, I wish I was one. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2009