Umbilical cord problems. HELP ME PLEASE!

My daughter will be two weeks old tomorrow. We have been cleaning her umbilical cord area with alcohol as the doctor had told us to do so. However, last night when I went to change her, I noticed that the stump had fallen off. However, it is only a small piece that has actually fallen off of her belly button with the whole stump! There is still 3/4 of her navel that is covered with the umbilical cord. There is puss, but I dont think that there is any blood. I thought that the whole thing was supposed to fall off all together! This is my first child, so I really dont know.
My question is, should I take her to the doctor first thing on the morning, or is this normal? AND should I continue cleaning it with alcohol, or should I stop? AND if I do continue cleaning it with alcohol, will it burn or sting her?
All answers are highly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

TheLaakSmith

Asked by TheLaakSmith at 6:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are sure there is puss then it could be infected. I would take her back to the Dr. she may need an antibiotic. I would stop cleaning it for tonight and let the Dr look.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son's didn't all fall off in one piece but the wasn't any puss. That might mean an infection which would need to be checked out.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I personally never did the alcohol. It isn't necessary. Is it red around the belly button? Or where the stump fell off? My daughter's umbi cord was always a little gooey, but never blood or any redness or irritation. It also fell off in 2 pieces, a little bit at first, then the whole thing.

I would not do an antibiotic on a newborn, at all. If you are worried call her pedi in the am and see if he can look at it.

You can get goldenseal in powder or capsules and make a paste out of it (open capsules to get powder) and rub it around/on the cord. It works wonders to heal the cord stump. This is just what we do. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Normal. Eventually the belly botton part will cover the stump looking area. My son lost his last week and now you can't see the whitish stump part at all. All of my kids looked like this. As far as the pus, mine all had some gooey stuff but as long as the area around it isn't red and it doesn't stink, it's fine.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• And no more alcohol. It was never needed at all. I've done it with and without and it doens't help or hurt as far as I can tell.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My midwives always told me to blow on the umbilical cord when I changed the baby's diaper. It fell off in just a few days. No alcohol at all! That will actually keep it from deteriorating as it should. Use a cotton swab to clean around the area, but don't put anything on it. But really do blow on it!
    (Mom of 5 children, three born at home.)
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 8:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2009